2017 Uniform Thread

1 minute ago, xandandl said:

No. There was a day and age, even in DCI era, that girls wore skirts and males the pants. Now sometimes it seems the opposite.

Interestingly, if one checks the dictionary for androgynous, the synonym comes up as hermaphrodite.

Etymology maybe?  I just looked up at Merriam-Webster.

Synonyms

genderless, unisex, unisexual

Antonyms

gendered

Related Words

ambisexual, intersexual; asexual, epicene, neuter, sexless, unsexed; AC/DC, bisexual; homosexual, lesbian; gender-bending, transgender (or transgendered), transsexual (also transexual), transvestite

Origin and Etymology of androgynous

Latin androgynus hermaphrodite, from Greek androgynos, from andr- + gynē woman — more at queen

First Known Use: 1651

2 minutes ago, mingusmonk said:

Etymology maybe?  I just looked up at Merriam-Webster.

I used the Collegiate European-American, a encyclopedic multi-volume that keeps me humble.

Just now, xandandl said:

I used the Collegiate European-American, a encyclopedic multi-volume that keeps me humble.

Fair enough.

In short, drum corps musician attire has been unisex and genderless for a significant amount of time. When was the last time a corps had different unis for brass/drum members that were of opposite sex? So I guess the post was accurate. it is the current, and long-standing, state of DCI. 

I just heard a four minute sound byte of Blue Devils.  I don't care if they wear clown suits.  Fantastic.  Several nods to the past, but not the hitting you over the head kind of nostalgia.  Interwoven very tastefully.  Of course, they play like beasts.  A little dirt but when it's clean, whoa baby.  Ok back to uniform talk. Or costume talk.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

I just heard a four minute sound byte of Blue Devils.  I don't care if they wear clown suits.  Fantastic.  Several nods to the past, but not the hitting you over the head kind of nostalgia.  Interwoven very tastefully.  Of course, they play like beasts.  A little dirt but when it's clean, whoa baby.  Ok back to uniform talk. Or costume talk.  

Nice!  Excited to hear what they have in store 

• Like 1

I predict folks will be making fun of a lot of the new uniforms/costumes this Summer. 

• Like 1

...ummm... I think I jumped back in on this thread at an awkward time... devoid of context in the ongoing discussion.

But I'm caught up now.

I think that the observation that is being discussed is really about what "uniform" means.  Uniform in drumcorps has rarely ever been an issue of 'gender' at all, but rather an issue of simple uniformity with an outfit intended for the job.  I don't think that has really changed.  There was a time (and still is on some of this) where ladies had to put their hair up and men had to be clean shaven.  A bit of that is gone now, but there is still the valid need to have all of the bodies on the field in a particular unit looking the 'same' at a glance or complimentary in the least.  Unless the corps is all female or all male... it is unlikely that the instrumental uniform would intentionally resemble a gender, other than the common concept of dress military garb or a uniformly decorated canvas (as in WGI).

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, xbones7480 said:

I predict folks will be making fun of a lot of the new uniforms/costumes this Summer. 

On here more than most online sites, it seems.  Been widening my horizons with fan interaction, and DCP does tend to live in its own bubble.

Mike

• Like 5

1 hour ago, tamadrummer04 said:

So. Anything new here?

Nope. Not really.