2017 Uniform Thread

I love the traditional cadet style uniform Boston has had all these years.  I especially loved the most recent iteration.  Very cool classy, current.  But current in it's own context.  What they have now come up with may be difficult to take at first glance, but the decision to do this is understandable.  Boston has come up with a costume the reflects (in their opinion and others too I'm sure) the program they will put on the field.  A complete package.  What may be a thought of as a problem is to have the cadet uniform worn in a very specifically designed themed program.  The cadet top would not make the most contextural sense when trying to portray, as effectively as they hope, the program they are offering.  They are designing a total program in their music, their look and storytelling.  That is the way DC is headed.  I expect there will be similar changes in a number of other corps.

To me, it isn't matter of "look what we started ha ha ha"  It is more in the vein of look at how we are moving the needle on innovation.  So you are either on the bus, or you're not.  And the overarching factor is if the MM's like it.  Every time DC moves forward there are naysayers, wagon jumpers, and things are a bit rough. But in a short amount of time, everyone joins up and everyone gets good.  Think of how not very long ago, electronics were really awful.  Now what corps are doing is amazing (whether you like electronics or not).  I am looking forward to seeing them Friday night and Saturday at the free show in Everett, MA with 7th Regiment & Northstar.  I was hoping to see them tomorrow but it isn't working out.  Have to take a dog to the vet of all things.

• Like 5

I wasn't even going to venture into this topic, but the discussion over on the Boston season thread led me here.

So here's my .02 worth:  DCI is now Theater in The Stadium.  Various theater companies around the country change members year to year, even though management and artistic direction staff may stay the same.  They develop costumes and sets for each production to better tell the story.  You wouldn't use the same sets and costumes to do "Rent" as you would for "Othello."  This is the same thing as DCI circa 2017.  We are past the time of debating show themes and uniform changes.  They are now a part of what defines DCI today.  New year, new show, new theme, new costumes... new normal.

• Like 8

Regardless of a traditional uniform/costume or a contemporary one, there have been and always will be ones that work and don't. I like Boston's guard uniform and the pants of the main uniform. I'm not a fan of the top half. I've never liked gray as a uniform choice. I think gray looks washed out and blends into the field to much. We'll see how it works when it's on the field.

1 hour ago, LabMaster said:

What of the uni progression is BD responsible for.  I see Crown really leading the way to what is starting to happen followed by Bloo last year, making the big leap.  I just didn't see BD as making a huge departure from the status quo.  BD to me has been evolving their particular uni year to year.

Half capes, tall plumes, glittery arms, streamer-like things hanging from the uniform, WGI costumes (check out Cabaret Voltaire). 

BD's had plenty of influence. 

• Like 1

This appears to have gone on and off topic for a while.  What are the chances we can get pics of uniforms on a "First Page" like we have for the Programs & Playlists Titles?  96 pages is a lot to go through to see the uniforms before commenting.

"Ya think?":grrr:

Edited by Old Corps Guy
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, Old Corps Guy said:

This appears to have gone on and off topic for a while.  What are the chances we can get pics of uniforms on a "First Page" like we have for the Programs & Playlists Titles?  96 pages is a lot to go through to see the uniforms before commenting.

"Ya think?":grrr:

There's already a separate thread for that 

• Like 1

Dictionary definitions:

Uniform:  the distinctive clothing worn by members of the same organization or body or by children attending certain schools.

Costume:

1.a style of dress, including accessories and hairdos, especially that peculiar to a nation, region, group, or historical period.
2.dress or garb characteristic of another period, place, person, etc., as worn on the stage or at balls.
3. fashion of dress appropriate to a particular occasion or season:
dancing costume; winter costume.
4.a set of garments, especially women's garments, selected for wear at a single time; outfit; ensemble.

Ugly is ugly, call it what you want but I’ll call it ugly

(not saying that about BAC uniforms but I may after I see them in action. their uniform reveal video was ugly though, their typical artist double speak of trying to justify  designs choices while contradicting themselves and not even producing what they claimed  makes me wonder, dude, did you even hear what you said? do you think I’m a dumb cow? )

Edited by cowtown
tense