2017 Uniform Thread

I have no idea if this has been shared yet or not but this is a screenshot from Hop's live cast moments ago. Pay close attention to the garments hanging under the DM podium.

m16DJO0l8hrKFbj86w99e3HV63r5nmYnprnOPjTG

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Lance said:

i've talked about this before, and honestly, i don't care what you call the garments that marching bands wear. costume, uniform, onesie, pajamas, whatever

but if your local police department started wearing what bloo's horns and percussion wore last year, what comments would it most likely elicit?

1) Why did the police change their uniform?

2) Why did the police start wearing a costume?

it would be #2, and you'd sound like a nutball if you tried correcting anybody who said it, no matter how right you think a dictionary makes you.

it all depends on context, whether we're talking about cops, military members, drum corps members, or anything else where a bunch of people all wear the same thing. 

I'm not sure if I can agree here entirely ( I do understand your point) with your police parallel to explain about uniforms versus costumes...it goes a bit deeper than just comments...the reason being is simply this...

"The crisp uniform of the police officer conveys power and authority. When a police officer puts on his or her uniform the officer is perceived in a very different way by the public. He or she is viewed as embodying each person''s stereotypes about all police officers. Research has suggested that clothing has a powerful impact on how people are perceived, and this goes for the police officer as well. The uniform of a police officer has been found to have a profound psychological impact on those who view it. Research has also suggested that even slight alterations to the style of the uniform will change how citizens will perceive the officer."

For the very reasons above ....that is WHY police would not change their uniform....Our activity has nothing to do with this supposition at all IMO...I do agree about CONTEXT in this regard though...

5 minutes ago, crownisking said:

I have no idea if this has been shared yet or not but this is a screenshot from Hop's live cast moments ago. Pay close attention to the garments hanging under the DM podium.

m16DJO0l8hrKFbj86w99e3HV63r5nmYnprnOPjTG

Ooh I didn't catch that when I was watching, nice eyes! They kinda look like a mix of Boston and Academy but with maroon and gold.

7 minutes ago, Lance said:

just looked at boston's unis

hideous in isolation/when static, but i can see how they'll work really well when moving

I'd be interested in hearing your perspective about this in just a little more detail if possible...thanks :)

15 hours ago, brassdude6171 said:
Academy Video

Those look a lot better "live" than in the promo photo.

• Like 1

I showed friends the photo of Boston's uniforms, and they had NO idea which corps it was haha. But honestly, I think they look good. My only criticism is the orange-ish color, but it will probably not be as noticable from the stands

2 hours ago, Brass34 said:

I showed friends the photo of Boston's uniforms, and they had NO idea which corps it was haha. 

That's really my issue.  An earlier post said "you can tell Crown, from, Boston, from Devs, etc.

And sure, you can. But to me, I feel like a uniform should identify the organization on sight.  Modifications for the show are ok, as is a major overhaul on occasion.  My worry is when we get to the point that I won't recognize a corps on sight, because of how frequently the uniform changes