2017 Uniform Thread

Just now, ajlemm said:

I don't know if you are trying to be sarcastic, but I didn't notice the Maltese cross until you wrote it. I had to zoom way in to see it, so not surprised that others may not have seen it either.

Agree. It is very hard to see. I missed it until he pointed it out.

The thing I like about the Crossmen uniforms is that if you walked into a stadium while they were on without having seen the uniforms before you could still guess accurately that it was the Crossmen on the field.  Also, you wouldn't call what they are wearing a "costume".

You can't say that about certain other uniforms/costumes that have been unveiled.

Edited by barigirl78
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, barigirl78 said:

I think the Crossmen have struck a nice balance of modifying their look to each year's theme while still maintaining elements that are key to the corps image.

Yeah, that was my point.  I knew immediately that this was Bones.  Same with the changes Crown makes every year.  I like when a corps has an identifiable template, and fit the show theme from there.  Kinda like it was an organized activity with rules about membership, timing and instrumentation, and then you make your creative vision fit within those parameters.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, SeanMcSean said:

Yeah, that was my point.  I knew immediately that this was Bones.  Same with the changes Crown makes every year.  I like when a corps has an identifiable template, and fit the show theme from there.  Kinda like it was an organized activity with rules about membership, timing and instrumentation, and then you make your creative vision fit within those parameters.

You can only recognize Crown because you're used to the uniform now. In 2013, you would've been saying "what the hell what corps is this?"

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

You can only recognize Crown because you're used to the uniform now. In 2013, you would've been saying "what the hell what corps is this?"

Sure, I don't mind an overhaul every 4 or 5 years.  I just prefer that in those blocks of time there's a semblance of continuity.

And, while unrealistic, I think that when there's a complete redesign, that should be announced early, maybe even with preliminary sketches.  I know members who marched a corps in a year there were uniform changes, and they were majorly disappointed.  I guess with the more frequent changes it becomes less of an issue, but the uniform is part of a corps' image, and part of why people want to march in a specific place.  Of course they grin and bear it, but if you grow up idolizing Maroon and Gold, then show up and get handed an all black uniform, it's certainly a bummer