2017 Uniform Thread

49 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

You can only recognize Crown because you're used to the uniform now. In 2013, you would've been saying "what the hell what corps is this?"

So in '93 I missed following the entire season.  Didn't even know Finals was on until I literally stumbled across the PBS broadcast while channel surfing.  I managed to find it just after the start of Star of Indiana's "Medea," but didn't hear the introduction. 

:blink:

I've never felt so strongly that I was living in an alternate reality as those 12 verrrry confused minutes.

Mike

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

You can only recognize Crown because you're used to the uniform now. In 2013, you would've been saying "what the hell what corps is this?"

I'll point out that many people were probably wondering who was on the field in 1976 after BD, Cavies, and Bridgemen all got completely new uniform designs...same for Regiment when they dropped the unis with the shakos for the scrubbing bubbles ones.

Completely new and different uniform changes are nothing new....sadly, neither is the complaining about it..

• Like 6

1 hour ago, barigirl78 said:

The thing I like about the Crossmen uniforms is that if you walked into a stadium while they were on without having seen the uniforms before you could still guess accurately that it was the Crossmen on the field.  Also, you wouldn't call what they are wearing a "costume".

You can't say that about certain other uniforms/costumes that have been unveiled.

I like the new costumes for Crossmen. And yes, some people might guess it is them, but I don't think it is all that obvious. Especially with so many other corps changing looks more frequently than in years way past.

Still think we should all be a bit more circumspect in judgement until we see how the new designs and colors look on the field and as part of the show. I don't expect the Crossmen to look bad on the field. But a a few photos, or an over-labored video (looking at you, BAC), isn't enough to reach any definitive conclusions.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, mjoakes said:

I like the new costumes for Crossmen. And yes, some people might guess it is them, but I don't think it is all that obvious. Especially with so many other corps changing looks more frequently than in years way past.

Still think we should all be a bit more circumspect in judgement until we see how the new designs and colors look on the field and as part of the show. I don't expect the Crossmen to look bad on the field. But a a few photos, or an over-labored video (looking at you, BAC), isn't enough to reach any definitive conclusions.

I agree, in general, that how the corps look in the context of the performance is key.  In the case of the Crossmen, I did see an ensemble run-through of their show last weekend sans uniform.  Thus, I'm a little bit closer to imagining how the uniforms fit in with other show elements than I would otherwise.

13 hours ago, Cappybara said:

I guess a positive is that I can atleast tell this is the Crossmen. Can't say the same for BAC

At first glance I couldn't tell then I assumed with the Aussie hats it was the Crossmen.  I guessed right.

3 hours ago, SeanMcSean said:

Yeah, that was my point.  I knew immediately that this was Bones.  Same with the changes Crown makes every year.  I like when a corps has an identifiable template, and fit the show theme from there.  Kinda like it was an organized activity with rules about membership, timing and instrumentation, and then you make your creative vision fit within those parameters.

I'm betting that if the Aussie hat was not there, you wouldn't have known it was Crossmen.  What in this uniform/costume was their identifiable template?  Curious to know not being snarky.