2017 Uniform Thread

I hate the trend towards costumes for the whole corps. Corps lose their fundamental identity by ditching traditional uniforms. SCV only has the star on their "costume", otherwise it doesn't portray any history/tradition of the corps. That is a shame considering it is their 50 year anniversary. No aussies for the corps?? That is a travesty and I'm not even an alumni of the corps! How are they going to handle age-outs and their green feathers? Are they still going to get a green feather? That would be nice but not as nice as being able to say "I marched with that feather in my aussie on finals night"

And Madison is playing the game too??? I read a comment on FB from someone saying "those (unis) scream Madison scouts." REALLY? Far from it. Having an aussie/shako/hat is designed to eliminate your individuality within the corps. One of the alluring factors of drum corps is that the uniform adds about 5 years of age to the person in the uniform. So, a 17 year old kid looks more mature/intimidating.

GE - when you take away the shako/aussies you are losing 4-10 inches in height on the members. The corps (not just SCV and Madison) start looking smaller, which is not what you should do on the football field. Remember Cavies uniforms from 90's-2000's? All of the accent parts were oversized so that they could be seen from the box and body moves popped. Watching the live broadcast the other night and most body moves loose that pop with all black uniforms. Thinking of their early power wedge set where the hornline pumps their arms out to their sides. That move, 10 years ago, would have been killer - with their old white gauntlets. Staff should design the show for the football field, not the gym floor. 

I would rather leave the costuming to the guard proper and leave the hornline/percussion in traditional uniforms. This pressure to change uniforms every year for every show is not a good business model. This is not WGI. 

And yes, I realize that the uniform controversy is not a new thing. Corps have been tweaking their uniforms for a good decade now. 

• Like 2

Just now, hrnguy500 said:

I hate the trend towards costumes for the whole corps. Corps lose their fundamental identity by ditching traditional uniforms. SCV only has the star on their "costume", otherwise it doesn't portray any history/tradition of the corps. That is a shame considering it is their 50 year anniversary. No aussies for the corps?? That is a travesty and I'm not even an alumni of the corps! How are they going to handle age-outs and their green feathers? Are they still going to get a green feather? That would be nice but not as nice as being able to say "I marched with that feather in my aussie on finals night"

And Madison is playing the game too??? I read a comment on FB from someone saying "those (unis) scream Madison scouts." REALLY? Far from it. Having an aussie/shako/hat is designed to eliminate your individuality within the corps. One of the alluring factors of drum corps is that the uniform adds about 5 years of age to the person in the uniform. So, a 17 year old kid looks more mature/intimidating.

GE - when you take away the shako/aussies you are losing 4-10 inches in height on the members. The corps (not just SCV and Madison) start looking smaller, which is not what you should do on the football field. Remember Cavies uniforms from 90's-2000's? All of the accent parts were oversized so that they could be seen from the box and body moves popped. Watching the live broadcast the other night and most body moves loose that pop with all black uniforms. Thinking of their early power wedge set where the hornline pumps their arms out to their sides. That move, 10 years ago, would have been killer - with their old white gauntlets. Staff should design the show for the football field, not the gym floor. 

I would rather leave the costuming to the guard proper and leave the hornline/percussion in traditional uniforms. This pressure to change uniforms every year for every show is not a good business model. This is not WGI. 

And yes, I realize that the uniform controversy is not a new thing. Corps have been tweaking their uniforms for a good decade now. 

SCV hasn't had members march with green feathers in their aussies since like... 2012 and they maintained traditional uniforms until this year. 

Since 2012, they've been only wearing the green feathers to retreat so this complaint is bogus. 

Id argue the new uniform is Madison Scouts through and through. Masculine, tribal, and has many elements of the traditional Madison Scouts such as the sash, neckerchief, and fleur de lis on the back. There's more to an identity than just physical features and colors. 

Also you can stop complaining about the lack of "elimination of individuality" because all the Scouts members buzzed their heads. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, hrnguy500 said:

Um, Phantom (since 1987) and Vanguard (since friggin forever) would like a word.

Mike

• Like 1

I guess I don't quite comprehend the reasons and or logic behind the shift from uniform to costume. Is it :

1. Simply the fashionable thing to do?

2. Uniform manufacturers have done an outstanding selling job (if this is it, I should hire them!)

2. Required (or perceived to be required) to obtain additional points in GE. Where a uniform would yield less? If so, is that really true or is it a misnomer? What this equates to is that a great theme, excellent, challenging and innovative writing, very talented performers etc wearing a uniform will more likely than not, lose the day while, wearing a costume they would have won?

3. Needed to attract members/staff. Therefore, not providing the promise of a 'costume' at recruiting time would deter the youth and talented writers/instructors of today from joining the uniform wearing corps?

Progress and innovation is expected and therefore cultivated in an artistic activity like drum corps. Most we can rationalize but this one has me (and I suspect, thousands of others) perplexed

There may be a host of other reasons but it would be valuable to have some light cast on the route cause of the 'required'shift

As an aside: Are the members happy and proud to chosen costumes this year?

As a test : Did they go home or to their friends house, don their uniform and proudly appear in the doorway anticipating and receiving a barrage of supportive comments  and clear admiration. "This is obviously far superior to the uniform you showed us last year"

I don't think so but I could be wrong?