Unpopular Opinions?

9 hours ago, BRASSO said:

Yes, the Holy Name Cadets from Allentown, PA ( and the Holy Name Church there ) is correct I believe . And if not, I reserve the right to delete this, and insert " The Cadets from Bergenfield County, N.J  ",.... or if still not accurate, then I'll delete that, and insert" Holy Name Cadets, Garfield N.J.", and If its still not accurate, I will insert ' Garfield Cadets, from Allentown, PA.  and if its STILL not accurate, I will sing " jingle bells ", while attempting to do 25 pushups for getting the whole dam confusing thing wrong.

Believe what you will, facts are facts. Most Holy Name of Jesus Church is in Garfield, New Jersey, Archdiocese of Newark, NJ.

There is no Most Holy Name of Jesus Church in Allentown, PA  (but there is an Allentown, NJ, lol)

"Brandt Crocker's Replacement":

How about:   Rush Limbaugh, Charlie Rose, Bill O'Rilley, Alex Trebeck, or Don Imus????

Don Imus DID actually play a bugle when he was in the Marine Corps.

My "fave" for the next announcer is James Earl Jones.  Picture him announcing the Cadets at Prelims then saying:  "George: I am your father.........:sarcasm:"

Elphaba   :flower:

Edited by elphaba01
  • Like 1

Depends on the crowd ...

Unpopular with many DCPers:

- DCI should have implemented electronics and amplification earlier.

- BD doesn't have enough hardware.

- "Clash of the Corps" was barely watchable (at best). The only TV channel that ever/will ever work for covering anything related to this activity is PBS.

- I have extremely strong opinions about the DCA organization and some of its corps. Rather than receive a flood of angry private messages, I'll just leave my comment at maximum opacity.

Unpopular with younger folks (i.e. /r/drumcorps)

- The cumulative majority of visual/guard instructors who teach body movement have absolutely no idea what they're doing.

- Too many instructors have zero performance experience outside of drum corps, marching band, and academic settings. Some of the best instructors/designers have come from outside the activity.

- DCI shows from the early/mid-00s were generally boring/terrible.

Edited by ShutUpAndPlayYerGuitar

On Wed Jan 18 2017 at 3:09 PM, ShutUpAndPlayYerGuitar said:

Depends on the crowd ...

- DCI should have implemented electronics and amplification earlier.

- "Clash of the Corps" was barely watchable (at best). The only TV channel that ever/will ever work for covering anything related to this activity is PBS.

- I have extremely strong opinions about the DCA organization and some of its corps. Rather than receive a flood of angry private messages, I'll just leave my comment at maximum opacity.

Unpopular with younger folks (i.e. /r/drumcorps)

- The cumulative majority of visual/guard instructors who teach body movement have absolutely no idea what they're doing.

- Too many instructors have zero performance experience outside of drum corps, marching band, and academic settings. Some of the best instructors/designers have come from outside the activity.

I agree with all of these.  Some  early 2000s show are good (Cadets 2005, PR 2003, and all the Cavies shows)

Edited by BoaDci

2 hours ago, ShutUpAndPlayYerGuitar said:

Depends on the crowd ...

Aside from BD alums, fans.... who has ever said this on either DCP, or anywhere else ? One of the basic qualifyers for an opinion to potentially become an " unpopular opinion, is that the opinion has to be expressed in the 1st place, somewhere.

Edited by BRASSO

2 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

Aside from BD alums, fans.... who has ever said, or even thought this, on either DCP, or anywhere else ?

Well if you arent a fan if course you dont want BD to have more hardware.

38 minutes ago, BoaDci said:

Well if you arent a fan if course you dont want BD to have more hardware.

True dat. ' Never met a non alum/ non fan of BD that believes that BD hasn't won enough hardware over the last 40 years in DCI, and thinks they need to win MORE of them over the next 40 year as a result. That person does not exist anywhere.. DCP. Facebook, Reddit, other planets, galaxies, etc, ( haha!)

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, elphaba01 said:

"Brandt Crocker's Replacement":

How about:   Rush Limbaugh, Charlie Rose, Bill O'Rilley, Alex Trebeck, or Don Imus????

Don Imus DID actually play a bugle when he was in the Marine Corps.

My "fave" for the next announcer is James Earl Jones.  Picture him announcing the Cadets at Prelims then saying:  "George: I am your father.........:sarcasm:"

Elphaba   :flower:

They could get some local radio guy who knows nothing about drum corps. Crown did that one year for Firstbeat in Columbia, SC. It went something like this.

Announcer: "Now ya'll are gonna cheer real loud for these bands tonight, right?"

Fan in the stands: "THIS AIN'T BAND!!! THIS IS DRUM CORPS!!!!"

Announcer: "Uh...well....alright...um.....ok!...................Well our next band will be the Crossmen..."

Edited by Beckham
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, BRASSO said:

True dat. ' Never met a non alum/ non fan of BD that believes that BD hasn't won enough hardware over the last 40 years in DCI, and thinks they need to win MORE of them over the next 40 year as a result. That person does not exist anywhere.. DCP. Facebook, Reddit, other planets, galaxies, etc, ( haha!)

When you phrase it like that, then yes I agree. But I ask, what constitutes a fan? I marched elsewhere, but tend to appreciate what they put on the field year-to-year. And I believe they were the better corps finals night 2013. Though I'm sure I could find a year they won like 2003 when I personally think they should have come in second to the Cavaliers.

So I agree that 17 championships is probably right, but different years I would have awarded those 17.

Edit: This is not an unpopular opinion response, but just a response to BRASSO and shutupandplayyourguitar.

Edited by littlejaw