Unpopular Opinions?

52 minutes ago, littlejaw said:

When you phrase it like that, then yes I agree. But I ask, what constitutes a fan? I marched elsewhere, but tend to appreciate what they put on the field year-to-year. 

That fits my personal definition of a BD fan, so you are a " BD fan", imo.  I'm a fan of BD sometimes too. Not always, but sometimes. Depends on the show. My comment however was in response to the poster above that utilized as what would be an unpopular opinion example here on DCP , ie " that BD doesn't have enough hardware( medals ) ". I would merely categorize this opinion as more in the realm of an " unexpressed opinion " rather than an " unpopular opinion ". I've never met anyone that thinks BD has not garnered enough hardware ( medals ) in DCI over the years. BD has won hardware, 21 out of the last 22 years, and 35 out of the last 41 years. If thats not " enough hardware" garnered by a single competitor, then maybe some fan is out there that thinks BD should have medaled every year the last 40 years, I don't know. I just don't think such a person exists, and if that person does exist, they've been pretty quiet up to now, and they havn't put their fingers to the keyboard yet here on DCP to make their sentiments known during my time here anyway. Before an opinion is considered " unpopular", it needs to be stated by somebody, somewhere, first. Hard to imagine anyone thinking that BD should have medaled every year. That was the gist of my reply to this, anyway. But its no big deal.. really.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

On 1/18/2017 at 1:09 PM, ShutUpAndPlayYerGuitar said:

- DCI shows from the early/mid-00s were generally boring/terrible.

I'm sure that's very unpopular, but I agree. 

From 01-06, there were only a handful of shows I liked. I almost fell completely away from the activity. 07 turned things around for me as a fan, despite Napoleon Dynamite's narration in the Cadets' show that year. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Lance said:

I'm sure that's very unpopular, but I agree. 

From 01-06, there were only a handful of shows I liked. I almost fell completely away from the activity. 07 turned things around for me as a fan, despite Napoleon Dynamite's narration in the Cadets' show that year. 

Yep this is about what I would say.  While there were the handful I mentioned, I did not like most. 

9 minutes ago, garfield said:

DCI, the org, should not be run by a BOD made up of corps directors.

Very true! Lots of people should be around that table: music educators, a few show biz folks, business people, people who understand the needs of young people who are marching today, medical people, to name a few, and this group has to be diverse, and we need women at the table.  This is not a slight to corps directors, and the decisions made could be very similar, but they have more credibility when more voices are heard.

Academy prior 2016 is extremely underrated.  

Crossmen are amazing I dont see them out of finals for a while

Phantom will EVENTUALLY modernize

Bugles will make a resurgence

No tie champions in DCI

Ticket prices should be raised at championships

Corps should only be allowed to let students attend 2 camps

Blue Knights are overrated(ducks and runs)

Hold Open Class championships at LOS as well

15 corps at finals

Only announce caption awards for finals like BOA, not an average

Have a fan favorite category for OC and WC (would not factor into actual championships)

Tour shows should touch EVERY mainland state

Guidelines for how long corps rehearse

Sunscreen mandatory

Food trucks should pass inspection

Clash of the Corps IS awful and is a disgrace to DCI

BD 360 should air on TV as well as other Corps shows

Crown needs to stick with a percussion team and not change for at least 3 years

George Hopkins need to start his own Corps called JAYOR (join at your own risk) where he can use his stupid ideas, and save his good ones for Cadets

Cascades are extremely underrated

Alright so alot of these are EXTREMELY unpopular.  Not all of these would work.  These are things I want and think will happen for DCI.

12 hours ago, BoaDci said:

Bugles will make a resurgence

No tie champions in DCI

Corps should only be allowed to let students attend 2 camps

15 corps at finals

Have a fan favorite category for OC and WC (would not factor into actual championships)

Tour shows should touch EVERY mainland state

Bugles are never coming back. There is debates about strings in DCI. I think the brass line will eventually be looked at like the bugle line is looked at now.

No ties is bad look at BOA Carmel won because they won GE but Avon won both other captions if I am not mistaken. Both bands deserved to win. If its that close it literally comes down to judge's opinion there is no technical explanation so to attempt to place one over another is kind of crazy.

They could increase prices at championships but that'd make me sad.

Corps limiting the number of camps for students would hurt corps and encourage enthusiastic mm's to drop out of school.

Finals should stay twelve, with this number there is a lot of competitiveness at 13,14, and 15 in order to get to finals.

IDK how that would be polled and it is more fun to argue that point then to have some official "fan favorite" maybe have a poll of the fan favorite show for corps not performing Saturday and announce it at retreat or something.

I wouldn't hold my breath with that one.

• Like 1

On 1/18/2017 at 11:13 PM, BRASSO said:

That fits my personal definition of a BD fan, so you are a " BD fan", imo.  I'm a fan of BD sometimes too. Not always, but sometimes. Depends on the show. My comment however was in response to the poster above that utilized as what would be an unpopular opinion example here on DCP , ie " that BD doesn't have enough hardware( medals ) ". I would merely categorize this opinion as more in the realm of an " unexpressed opinion " rather than an " unpopular opinion ". I've never met anyone that thinks BD has not garnered enough hardware ( medals ) in DCI over the years. BD has won hardware, 21 out of the last 22 years, and 35 out of the last 41 years. If thats not " enough hardware" garnered by a single competitor, then maybe some fan is out there that thinks BD should have medaled every year the last 40 years, I don't know. I just don't think such a person exists, and if that person does exist, they've been pretty quiet up to now, and they havn't put their fingers to the keyboard yet here on DCP to make their sentiments known during my time here anyway. Before an opinion is considered " unpopular", it needs to be stated by somebody, somewhere, first. Hard to imagine anyone thinking that BD should have medaled every year. That was the gist of my reply to this, anyway. But its no big deal.. really.

Agreed, I got tied up in hardware = gold medals. When it just means medaling in general.

13 hours ago, BoaDci said:

This is the most unpopular opinion of the whole list. Going to all 3 shows is so expensive that I only go to quarters and finals. Good seats at quarters and finals tickets in the 600s will cost you $200.

19 minutes ago, littlejaw said:

This is the most unpopular opinion of the whole list. Going to all 3 shows is so expensive that I only go to quarters and finals. Good seats at quarters and finals tickets in the 600s will cost you $200.

Very true, this is a very hard opinion.  Im not saying they should be alot.  It might allow for more money to flow down to corps.  I mean adding 10 or 20 dollars to 3000(600000$) tickets brings in ALOT of cash

Edited by BoaDci