Unpopular Opinions?

On ‎1‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 10:18 PM, Beckham said:

They could get some local radio guy who knows nothing about drum corps. Crown did that one year for Firstbeat in Columbia, SC. It went something like this.

Announcer: "Now ya'll are gonna cheer real loud for these bands tonight, right?"

Fan in the stands: "THIS AIN'T BAND!!! THIS IS DRUM CORPS!!!!"

Announcer: "Uh...well....alright...um.....ok!...................Well our next band will be the Crossmen..."

I was there that night! LOL!

• Like 3

Back to the topic…

I enjoy the BAC, Crown, Cadets rivalry on the board in spirit, the actual posts are a bit boring, running out of material and trying to pretend they are not snipping but that is another matter. It reminds me of the old days

I wish crowds were rowdier, this shushing people for cheering, pretending we’re in a concert hall cheats us all. Of course, I don’t like the aimless chatter of casserole recipes over a soft passage but do embrace loud, colorful reactions to show moments

• Like 3

On 1/23/2017 at 5:36 PM, flammaster said:

I am very thankful that I have an open minded outlook on modern drum corps thanks to my wonderful son.  "Without deviation from the Norm progress is not possible"  -Frank Zappa

Lucky Dad.  

I'm not surprised that we might see this differently but, for me, it's not the deviation that's in question, it's the direction of the evolution.

I happen to love the creativity even as I believe that restraint, either self-imposed or via rules restrictions, forces as much creativity as does an "anything goes" approach. Sometimes creativity for the sake of deviation is not a better step except to teach a lesson that maybe you hadn't planned to learn.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, FTNK said:

Most drum corps shows are very dumb 

G7 was the right way to go

Can't tell if you flipped to sarcasm in this post, but I do find the "evolution" of the activity to be significantly like what the G7 intent was.

I tend to believe that the G7 was only poorly executed and not wrong in spirit.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, garfield said:

Can't tell if you flipped to sarcasm in this post, but I do find the "evolution" of the activity to be significantly like what the G7 intent was.

awe man the hammer is about to fall (even if there is some truth to what you say)  :ninja: 

On 4/15/2017 at 1:06 PM, garfield said:

I appreciate your efforts, going back several years, to try, as a means to foster more constructive dialogue, to see things from the G7 point of view. That said, theirs is a case where the difference between means and ends was quite blurred.

On 4/14/2017 at 11:40 AM, cowtown said:

Back to the topic…

I enjoy the BAC, Crown, Cadets rivalry on the board in spirit, the actual posts are a bit boring, running out of material and trying to pretend they are not snipping but that is another matter. It reminds me of the old days

I wish crowds were rowdier, this shushing people for cheering, pretending we’re in a concert hall cheats us all. Of course, I don’t like the aimless chatter of casserole recipes over a soft passage but do embrace loud, colorful reactions to show moments

No, we can't have rowdier crowds.  Not so long as music is played 'pp'.  Rowdier crowds are fine at events where volume doesn't matter, but dynamics and frequency range are so key to drum corps' presentation that almost any crowd noise where not intended is a distraction from the performance. 

I happen to believe the designer and arranger will tell me when to applaud and get rowdy.

I've heard enough "Go Ian!" shouts make it to the finals recordings to wish for the crowd to STH up.

($1 to whomever can identify the corps and the show where we heard "Go Ian!")

Edited by garfield