Unpopular Opinions?

I love the INT and the Couchmen jokes. I wish we had more of them.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

I appreciate your efforts, going back several years, to try, as a means to foster more constructive dialogue, to see things from the G7 point of view. That said, theirs is a case where the difference between means and ends was quite blurred.

I'm not so sure.  In the end, the Seven wanted to preserve the activity just as most do.  It was the starkness of their solution that was most-jolting.

Yet, even as the rebellion was crushed, it apparently stirred the animal spirits of the smaller down-ranking corps because, all of a sudden, we have an Open Class that has launched itself upwards in show design, funding, experience quality, performance level, and organizational structure, World Class welcomes a new member and we have surprising organizational strength showing up to challenge the staff status-quo of some stalwart top-12 corps.  And there are half a dozen SoundSport teams knocking on the door of Open Class chomping to get in.

Maybe the shockwaves were enough to start a new trend.  Maybe the Seven didn't see the same means and fell for their Pied Piper leader (as hard as it is to believe).  But I'll bet you'll find most, if not every, single one, would say the groundswell that was the opposition to the G7 has matured into an a realization that something drastic was needin' to happen.  That sentiment is not far from the one that drove the G7 to take their action and choose their stupid direction.

Mine's probably an unpopular opinion.  Back on topic...

Edited by garfield
  • Like 3

Couchmen < Futon Regiment < Sofa Clara Vanguard.

On 4/16/2017 at 7:27 PM, garfield said:

No, we can't have rowdier crowds.  Not so long as music is played 'pp'.  Rowdier crowds are fine at events where volume doesn't matter, but dynamics and frequency range are so key to drum corps' presentation that almost any crowd noise where not intended is a distraction from the performance. 

I happen to believe the designer and arranger will tell me when to applaud and get rowdy.

I've heard enough "Go Aaron!" shouts make it to the finals recordings to wish for the crowd to STH up.

($1 to whomever can identify the corps and the show where we heard "Go Aaron!")

What?  Nobody knows "Go Ian!" yet?  I'm shocked...

Edited by garfield

23 hours ago, garfield said:

No, we can't have rowdier crowds.  Not so long as music is played 'pp'.  Rowdier crowds are fine at events where volume doesn't matter, but dynamics and frequency range are so key to drum corps' presentation that almost any crowd noise where not intended is a distraction from the performance. 

I happen to believe the designer and arranger will tell me when to applaud and get rowdy.

I've heard enough "Go Aaron!" shouts make it to the finals recordings to wish for the crowd to STH up.

($1 to whomever can identify the corps and the show where we heard "Go Aaron!")

Rumor has it that BD 2004's Lisa is an American ######.

• Like 1

DCI should consider returning to Jackson, Miss. for their DCI Championships. Its perfect as a venue.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Foef_Yet_Flalf said:

Cadets '16 isn't as bad in design as everyone thinks.

Visually it was lacking, I really miss Sacktig, but other than that I'll fully agree with you. I first watched this on live stream, high cam, and had no clue there was a story going on from that view. My initial thought was that this is a really cool Pines of Rome show. 

What's so great about the Madison Scouts?

• Like 3

Corps show competitions with half size judging panels arn't so bad. Corps have not finished their shows anyway.

• Like 1