Unpopular Opinions?

2 hours ago, ouooga said:

Visually it was lacking, I really miss Sacktig, but other than that I'll fully agree with you. I first watched this on live stream, high cam, and had no clue there was a story going on from that view. My initial thought was that this is a really cool Pines of Rome show. 

There was a story?!

jk

• Like 1

I think DCI finals were better when they were held in a different city each year, or every few years.  My kids saw lots of the country doing drum corps (No offense to my Sister City).

The Olympics rotate.  Why don't we?

(Yes, I know all the reasons)

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, garfield said:

I think DCI finals were better when they were held in a different city each year, or every few years.  My kids saw lots of the country doing drum corps (No offense to my Sister City).

Money, long term contracts,Rotation of the Olympics are totally different I believe. Cities bid and shell out millions and millions just to get their city to host.

I hope more brass soloists give us more winks this season.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

Money, long term contracts,Rotation of the Olympics are totally different I believe. Cities bid and shell out millions and millions just to get their city to host.

Insulated from weather concerns for both warmups and performances.  Things are very controllable and predictable.  Not really a bad thing for finals.  

Drawback is that they won't see much growth.  If you've done Indy you've done Indy.  Honestly they could do Finals in the theater and probably not see much of drop off in attendance.

Not sure they care because the big regionals are doing so well.   

Edited by corpsband

18 hours ago, garfield said:

Degreed and yes, I get why Indy. But outdoor finals were so much better, there was so much more energy going back and forth between the crowds and the corps and I did get to see some places I would not have normally gone to, one of the few who loved Jackson.

I’m bored with Indy but it’s so easy and I know it, even when I change it up it’s the same

• Like 1

7 hours ago, cowtown said:

Degreed and yes, I get why Indy. But outdoor finals were so much better, there was so much more energy going back and forth between the crowds and the corps and I did get to see some places I would not have normally gone to, one of the few who loved Jackson.

I’m bored with Indy but it’s so easy and I know it, even when I change it up it’s the same

I actually enjoyed myself a lot in Bloomington in 2008.  Of course, the weather was perfect and Phantom Regiment set the audience on fire...quite a night.  But I understand that it was logistically a nightmare.  

Speaking of logistical nightmares, we were in Ithaca, NY a few years back, where '74 championships were held...I'll never know how they did it.  Hilly two-lane roads to the stadium and zero parking areas. 

1 hour ago, Terri Schehr said:

I actually enjoyed myself a lot in Bloomington in 2008.  Of course, the weather was perfect and Phantom Regiment set the audience on fire...quite a night.  But I understand that it was logistically a nightmare.  

Speaking of logistical nightmares, we were in Ithaca, NY a few years back, where '74 championships were held...I'll never know how they did it.  Hilly two-lane roads to the stadium and zero parking areas. 

But wow, was Ithaca a beautiful setting.

• Like 2

DCI shows are too late in the day and should be held during late morning and afternoon.                                                     Unless when it interferes with nap routines. drum corps should always be during day time hours.

1 hour ago, xandandl said:

DCI shows are too late in the day and should be held during late morning and afternoon.                                                     Unless when it interferes with nap routines. drum corps should always be during day time hours.

I'll agree with this.  Especially when trying to drive into a regional.  We don't stay for awards anymore so that we can get a jump on the trip home.