Unpopular Opinions?

4 hours ago, geluf said:

The number of semi-finals slots should be an elastic number based on the number of prelims entries and finals should be the top 15.

At 29 or fewer entries, semis should be eliminated entirely.  Straight from prelims to finals.

DCI would lose money.

52 minutes ago, BoaDci said:

DCI would lose money.

Thread asks for unpopular opinions.

Opinion provided.

• Like 1

Besides, I see it as a way to keep DCI interested in continuing to lett the Open class corps compete in Prelims, since that takes them over 29 easily.

Time for a very unpopular opinion: DCI should profitize it's groups. Pump up the money flow and eventually pay the members. Idk how all that works, but there's gotta be a way to do it well.

1 hour ago, brassdude6171 said:

Time for a very unpopular opinion: DCI should profitize it's groups. Pump up the money flow and eventually pay the members. Idk how all that works, but there's gotta be a way to do it well.

if only.  i don't think that's an unpopular opinion so much as a fantasy.  DCI is barely getting by with the members substantally supporting the activity.  if you have a way to create a revenue stream that lets members march for free (never mind being paid)  please share it immediately!  

Edited by corpsband

10 minutes ago, brassdude6171 said:

What does "Pump up the money flow..." mean, please?

13 minutes ago, brassdude6171 said:

Of course there is one sure way to "pump up the money flow": raise ticket prices.  A lot.  And at the non-DCI-run shows, simply charge the hosts more contract fee .

The question is: how long before there's a diminishing return?

Most directors I know say the activity should be charging more for tickets; I'd be surprised if they said anything else.

But, in an era of $5000 "finals" seats to various events, is DCI charging enough?

34 minutes ago, corpsband said:

if only.  i don't think that's an unpopular opinion so much as a fantasy.  DCI is barely getting by with the members sustantally supporting the activity.  if you have a way to create a revenue stream that lets members march for free (never mind being paid)  please share it immediately!  

Haha like I said, I have no clue how this would get done, just would love to see it happen.

36 minutes ago, corpsband said:

if only.  i don't think that's an unpopular opinion so much as a fantasy.  DCI is barely getting by with the members sustantally supporting the activity.  if you have a way to create a revenue stream that lets members march for free (never mind being paid)  please share it immediately!  

This.

In a perfect world...  LOL

Ok, here we go - Star of Indiana's 1993 show was an incredible show that should be recognized as so far forward in design, music, movement, use of guard, writing in all catagories - and was performed so well, that it not only should have Finals, but could be competitive today and, I think, even win the title 24 years later!