Unpopular Opinions?

56 minutes ago, Stu said:

Collusion need not be secret.  The accusation put forth here is that within DCI adjudicating there is not just mere influence, but that there is a head of the heard, with all the other calves following the head of the heard, and the entire heard congregates outside of DCI to make sure the heard stays together.  Again, that is a claim of a textbook form, out in the open Collusion, not just mere influence.

We know there are a few "senior" judges who "consult" the rest of the pact how things should start to move as the season progresses. If they don't follow that, you see those judges at less shows.

2 hours ago, Stu said:

Adjudicating within any competition is a position which demands, nay commands integrity and honor. So, which judges among these are 'the calves' (please name them specifically) who cannot and do not have the integrity and honor enough to think for themselves but instead ‘follow the head of heard’ (and also name the head) when writing down their scores? Kelly, Gray, Waymire, Fugett, Orefice, Giese, Lentz, Rios, Greenwell, Prosperie, Fox, Wemhoff, Stone, Jones, Davis, Turner, Adamo, Thompson, McGarr, Carbone, Dunn, Ausdemore, Lowe, Carlson, Howell, Rothe, Bell, Mascaro, Miller, Chumley, Dillon, Markham, Howarth, Leitzke?  Again, please name them.

Pretty tacky to list names on a forum when I'm discussing a trend I've noticed that occurs for many seasons. Maybe one would call it numbers management, I just find it odd when multi point gaps open between corps all up and down the rankings almost over night. Why can't a corps come in 3rd or 5th or 9th by a tenth? Call it like you see it, not like you feel it should be. 

3 hours ago, imcbdit said:

Is that "herd mentality" simply numbers management by the judges?  

No. 

1 hour ago, Stu said:

By only listing five, or any number for that mater, who you consider best at thinking for themselves, and omitting others for this list, there is no need for you to list who you consider as following-the-heard, on-the-sauce pinheads who have trouble thinking for themselves.  The implication is already there via omission.

Heh. No, though. :lle:

Perhaps the implication is that there is a third option (indifferent/no opinion) which you are failing to consider in your obvious false dichotomy. Or perhaps the implication is that I didn't have the time nor the inclination to mentally audit every single DCI judge of the past twenty years to see how good or bad they were (Occam's Razor and all that). Or any number of other implications you are flagrantly refusing to consider.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Stu said:

Collusion need not be secret.  The accusation put forth here is that within DCI adjudicating there is not just mere influence, but that there is a head of the heard, with all the other calves following the head of the heard, and the entire heard congregates outside of DCI to make sure the heard stays together.  Again, that is a claim of a textbook form, out in the open Collusion, not just mere influence.

Perhaps you don't mean to use the word collusion:

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/collusion

1 hour ago, Liahona said:

I didn't feel that the singer from 2007 did anything to enhance that show that year...not the worst singer in DCI history...but far from the best either...'shut up and play' seemed to be a popular mantra as well... :ninja:

There was no singer. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tobias said:

There was no singer. 

I must be thinking of another show then...my apologies...

1 hour ago, imcbdit said:

Perhaps you don't mean to use the word collusion:

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/collusion

However, according to Black’s Law Dictionary there are multiple definitions. Notice that the first definition does not include the necessity of secrecy; only the second definition states secrecy.

Collusion:

A deceitful agreement or compact between two or more persons, for the one party to bring an action against the other for some evil purpose, as to defraud a third party of his right (Cowell).

A secret arrangement between two or more persons, whose interests are apparently conflicting, to make use of the forms and proceedings of law in order to defraud a third person, or to obtain that which justice would not give them, by deceiving a court or its officers (Baldwin v. New York).

http://thelawdictionary.org/collusion/

1 hour ago, Tobias said:

Pretty tacky to list names on a forum when I'm discussing a trend I've noticed that occurs for many seasons. Maybe one would call it numbers management, I just find it odd when multi point gaps open between corps all up and down the rankings almost over night. Why can't a corps come in 3rd or 5th or 9th by a tenth? Call it like you see it, not like you feel it should be. 

Ummm... what is actually tacky is to accuse the DCI judges of heard mentality, accuse one of them as leading the heard, and place that opinion under the cover of generalizations of their personal character and integrity instead of citing specifics.

Edited by Stu