Unpopular Opinions?

9 minutes ago, Tobias said:

Well I'm kind of saying you were right and I was wrong in a way. They're following the same "scoring instructions" but are not oblivious if they are way off the trend. That's all I said. SO, you were correct and I was not. Can we be friends now? We can hug at a show if you'd like but no kissing. (Although after a few drinks, I can't guarantee that). 

I am so triggered now I think I need to do some yoga and have some tea before I spout off about your insensitivity to prolific kissers (like Italians).

:sigh:

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, garfield said:

I am so triggered now I think I need to do some yoga and have some tea before I spout off about your insensitivity to prolific kissers (like Italians).

:sigh:

Is that why Boston mms are wearing garlic?

• Like 1

Just now, garfield said:

I suspect that's the only way the mm's will attract anyone from the Philly neighborhoods now...

Hey, they have their own Gino now and he's spent a lot of time in Philly.

26 minutes ago, Tobias said:

Well I'm kind of saying you were right and I was wrong in a way. They're following the same "scoring instructions" but are not oblivious if they are way off the trend. That's all I said. SO, you were correct and I was not. Can we be friends now? We can hug at a show if you'd like but no kissing. (Although after a few drinks, I can't guarantee that). 

One of my favorite movie scenes concerning how friends interact comes from the movie, ‘Lean on Me’.  Principal Clark, (Morgan Freeman) and Dr. Napier (Robert Guillaume) had been friends for many years but in this particular scene they get into a verbal confrontation; they yell at each other; they get downright mean; then when they are done yelling at each other Dr. Napier calmly and quietly says, “Come on, let’s get something to eat”.  As they are walking out together, still friends, Principal Clark responds with this epiphany, “Boy… you really think I am bad, don’t you?”

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Stu said:

One of my favorite movie scenes concerning how friends interact comes from the movie, ‘Lean on Me’.  Principal Clark, (Morgan Freeman) and Dr. Napier (Robert Guillaume) had been friends for many years but in this particular scene they get into a verbal confrontation; they yell at each other; they get downright mean; then when they are done yelling at each other Dr. Napier calmly and quietly says, “Come on, let’s get something to eat”.  As they are walking out together, still friends, Principal Clark responds with this epiphany, “Boy… you really think I am bad, don’t you?”

I prefer the Godfather method: "Stu sleeps with the fishes..."

And, "Your father did business with Hyman Roth, but your father never trusted Hyman Roth."

Edited by garfield

Not sure if it's been posted yet, but yesterday I gave the whole Bernstein's Mass a listen. Listened to two different recordings (sometimes the recording makes the piece) and I gotta say... I cannot get into it at all. There's cool epic brassy moments throughout, but overall I was left thinking what in the world ???? It's like Bernstein wanted to be serious and then was like, "SYKE! here's a scene from a broadway project I'm doing for some reason."  over and over again. Just seems like a joke, compared to masterpieces like the B minor Mass...  I guess my unpopular opinion is that I can't stand this musical selection that's basically Cadets' show for 2017, hopefully I don't hate the show Cadets are one if not my favorite corps. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, johnpendell said:

Not sure if it's been posted yet, but yesterday I gave the whole Bernstein's Mass a listen. Listened to two different recordings (sometimes the recording makes the piece) and I gotta say... I cannot get into it at all. There's cool epic brassy moments throughout, but overall I was left thinking what in the world ???? It's like Bernstein wanted to be serious and then was like, "SYKE! here's a scene from a broadway project I'm doing for some reason."  over and over again. Just seems like a joke, compared to masterpieces like the B minor Mass...  I guess my unpopular opinion is that I can't stand this musical selection that's basically Cadets' show for 2017, hopefully I don't hate the show Cadets are one if not my favorite corps. 

and maybe you were just having one of those days.

It is not a simple work. To attribute a theology or philosophy to this particular Bernstein's work is to ignore the tension of the times and various cultures in which it was written. He, not a Christian but a Jew who struggles with his own believing growing up after the Holocaust and Korean Wars, writes during the Viet Nam Conflict, a most contentious time for US foreign and internal politics. Authority is being questioned in religion, in politics, and even in self-identity. Bernstein touches all that in his music both in the rhythms and chords/melodies and counterpoints as well as the lyrics and reference (think source music) of ancient liturgies. Yes, the opus bounces from pathos to pathos, from despair to beauty to conflict. If the audience member is placid with the piece, then the meaning has been missed entirely. 

If the design team is successful in encapsulating in 11 minutes significant moments from the musical and emotional encyclopedia Bernstein presents, then it will be a most engaging show.

• Like 1