Unpopular Opinions?

On 4/18/2017 at 5:49 PM, garfield said:

I think DCI finals were better when they were held in a different city each year, or every few years.  My kids saw lots of the country doing drum corps (No offense to my Sister City).

The Olympics rotate.  Why don't we?

(Yes, I know all the reasons)

Same.  I know *why* they do it, but as a result I haven't been to finals since I aged out in 2004.  Previous to that I'd been to two others.

Indy is just not convenient to get to for me at all, and costly.  When it used to rotate, you could at least be fairly sure you could make it to one in a 5-6 year period.

Also: Love all the "too many electronics" comments in this thread as if that's supposed to be an unpopular opinion on DCP.

On 1/16/2017 at 0:14 AM, friendwhale said:

Because I want to make some enemies.

-I don't mind shows having electronics to pretty much any extent

This thrread topic here however  is asking its few remaining DCP posters for " UNPOPULAR opinions". While this comment would surely be unpopular on the several Facebook sites that deal with different eras of Drum Corps, its nowhere near an  unpopular opinion here on DCP anymore, imo, and as such should not " make some enemies " for you here.

Edited by BRASSO

12 minutes ago, BoaDci said:

Ok here we go, I have feared creating this post for awhile but here goes...

Cadets 2016 is actually a way better show than we give it credit for.

I don't think there will be a lot of resistance to that, I thought it was a bust overall but there were some fantastic moments that probably weren't given merit because of the overall product.  I thought Pines of Rome was fantastic, Turning was pretty chilling IMO, one of the few moments where I felt like the theme was being hammered home.  Closer just fell apart design wise, I think they had 2/3rds of a fantastic show that woulda easily competed with Santa Clara Vangaurd and Cavaliers in the final days of the season.  

It's a bizarre weird show that will definitely be a hidden gem to some young fan like I was a few years ago digging my way through forgotten and lower placing shows (relatively for Cadets in this case of course) years from now.  

Edited by DrumManTx
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, BoaDci said:

Ok here we go, I have feared creating this post for awhile but here goes...

Cadets 2016 is actually a way better show than we give it credit for.

This show is yet another instance of a Cadets show that is great musically and visually, but is a huge whiff conceptually/thematically. These past couple Cadet shows especially are some of my favorite to listen to, but least favorite to watch front to back.

• Like 1

The number of semi-finals slots should be an elastic number based on the number of prelims entries and finals should be the top 15.

At 29 or fewer entries, semis should be eliminated entirely.  Straight from prelims to finals.

On 1/16/2017 at 7:23 PM, Jurassic Lancer said:

Awww, who needs equipment ... just dance! 

:laughing:

On 1/16/2017 at 6:17 PM, mjoakes said:

1. No one really knows what GE is.

2. There's evidence in a Fox News report that Bluecoats had only one member actually playing horn in 2016. Everything else was electronic. I know this because Trump tweeted it.

3. BD shows are snoozers.

4. Phantom did not actually perform in 2016. It was only a mirage.

5. Beacause it's worth repeating: No one knows what GE is.

To me, it's more of nobody understands what goes into a GE score and judges (and DCI, I think) believe it's a catch all for everything they can't define well.  

More thunderous goo, singing, free form dance, and WGI unis!  Oh almost forgot, drone cams!

Edited by luv4corps

Why waste time with DCI just call it WGI outdoor. 

How do we know if a corps is or isn't "audio doping"? 

I really liked DCE.