How Many Minutes of Show Music Learned So Far?

1 hour ago, Fran Haring said:

Wow... when a corps gets its name on a bathroom wall at a Waffle House, you KNOW they've hit the big time!!!  :tongue:

Waffles.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, soccerguy315 said:

chances are high any music learned already will get substantial re-writes by April.

IMO

Well at least a good portion of it. But who cares?  It's just something to fill the void.  

Perhaps there should be chart showing the "race to 10 mins learned"  (or in the case of the Cadets -- race to 16 mins learned so they can then struggle to cut down under the limit! )

• Like 2

8 hours ago, corpsband said:

Well at least a good portion of it. But who cares?  It's just something to fill the void.  

Perhaps there should be chart showing the "race to 10 mins learned"  (or in the case of the Cadets -- race to 16 mins learned so they can then struggle to cut down under the limit! )

That Cadet comment goes back to year 1 of DCI. We ended up so overtime due to staff making additions to the show (without corresponding subtractions) on the way to Champs that we got a 1.8 point penalty, which cost us a finals spot....missed 12th by 0.1. We would have been 9th in prelims w/o a penalty.

50 minutes ago, MikeD said:

That Cadet comment goes back to year 1 of DCI. We ended up so overtime due to staff making additions to the show (without corresponding subtractions) on the way to Champs that we got a 1.8 point penalty, which cost us a finals spot....missed 12th by 0.1. We would have been 9th in prelims w/o a penalty.

I will never figure out stuff like that. Not just the Cadets that year, but other corps in other years. In those cases, why didn't a corps' staff realize that the show was bumping up against the time limit, and make the cuts that were needed?  I think stopwatches were available even in those days.  LOL          

I do know of at least one situation with a DCA corps that needed to adjust their show length because they had not factored in the time for the huge standing ovation they would receive at the end of their big production number that year. The length of that crowd response took them by surprise... the corps had to wait a bit until they could hear the drum major!!! This was well before the days of silent counts and/or cues. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

I will never figure out stuff like that. Not just the Cadets that year, but other corps in other years. In those cases, why didn't a corps' staff realize that the show was bumping up against the time limit, and make the cuts that were needed?  I think stopwatches were available even in those days.  LOL          

I do know of at least one situation with a DCA corps that needed to adjust their show length because they had not factored in the time for the huge standing ovation they would receive at the end of their big production number that year. The length of that crowd response took them by surprise... the corps had to wait a bit until they could hear the drum major!!! This was well before the days of silent counts and/or cues. 

Back in the day before "Program Directors" and nano-seconds, sometimes it was simply an Ego problem as the drum instructors wouldn't cut drum features and the horn guys insisted on keeping the whole song, etc.  Sometimes it's the drill guy insisting he needs so many counts to complete his "amazing" move.

Predicting when the crowd would applaud and how long, is an art not a science. I've seen the drill sheets of Zingali when Cesario was also on staff at Cadets with Van Doren and Prime. MC had "applause estimations" on the instructors' sheets...............and great comments such as "And the crowd goes wild."

When Michael moved to Phantom, he continued the practice at least for the Snow Queen show and early years he was with them.

2011 Cadets had the problem of overwhelming applause as A&D progressed; Finals night especially and was a tribute to the DM leadership of Ben Pouncey for keeping it all together; he won the Jim Jones Award that year as well.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

I was only guilty once.  No one on the design team noticed (music was written and taught, drill written, etc...) until the very first day of band camp when I was making my cheat sheet with set numbers, counts, measures, and time marks.  OOPS.   We literally had to gut the entire intro and most of the 1st number to just barely get under time.  Of course we a zillion props and struggled all season to get on and off in time.  (Same season we had drill cross the FSL outside the 30s -- I caught that too but only AFTER the first show).  Funny thing was not a single judge ever noticed any of the edits.  

• Like 1