National Endowment for the Arts

This is relevant, don't see why we can't have an adult discussion about it (though it's the Internet and people have already veered away from it).  We don't have to agree either.   

I am definitely not a huge fan of this, there are certainly MANY other areas of the government that there is oversoending/waste/excess in.  I think I read this and a few other things that are being targeted for defunding would account for .02% of the debt.   

And I think it is totally relevant to DCI.   Even if it's just one kid who gets a new instrument that works because their program got a grant for new instruments and suddenly they find a passion for it, and then go on to do it in high school and maybe even do drum corps some day.  It effects the potential future members, whether it be one kid or many.  Big or small it has an impact.  I know directors whose programs were hugely changed by grants for new equipment among other things.  

I am not happy about this.  I don't think it's terrible to say that.   You can disagree too, I don't care.  This is something worth discussing.   I'm just talking about this specific issue, not any administrations or people.   

Edited by DrumManTx
  • Like 4

21 minutes ago, MikeD said:

A couple of purely political posts have been removed.

Why is the thread itself allowable, however ? The thread revolves around a political, non voters selected, governmental created political entity.  I  personally do not have any issues with allowing political discourse unrelated to Drum Corps to be disccused on here... but the DCP rules expressly prohibit such " political threads ". This is undeniably a thread that is a " political thread ". No one can plausably deny that it is not. It thus needs to be removed then imo, or else allow all other political threads that deal with politicians and governmental actions to be allowed as well. It seems to me its not good policy for DCP to allow just our own pet peeve political threads to thrive here, while simultaneously banning and removing those political threads that do not fit our own personal liking. Consistency and transparancy are vital in the application of DCP board rules it would seem to me.. otherwise, few will really know what the rules are, and which rules will be enforced vigorously and which others will be wily nilly allowed.. and thus without any consistency to the rules enforcement at all.

Edited by BRASSO

2 minutes ago, DrumManTx said:

Even if it's just one kid who gets a new instrument that works because their program got a grant for new instruments and suddenly they find a passion for it, and then go on to do it in high school and maybe even do drum corps some day.  It effects the potential future members, whether it be one kid or many.  Big or small it has an impact.  I know directors whose programs were hugely changed by grants for new equipment among other things.  

I'd take it a step further and say that a larger perception could be created (and one that could have ramifications for this activity).

If a coach tells his/her team "band is stupid and for nerds," the opinion of that influential person can affect those around him/her.

If a government official says "arts aren't important," that opinion could affect some (maybe many). Maybe that's the little push that states or school districts need to defund music programs. If music programs are cut more than they are now, students not exposed to music today probably won't be filling up corps in the next 15+ years. 

We've already seen the influence that government officials have on the public (e.g., inciting violence). I think the above is entirely plausible.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

I did not know that we could utilize the names of current or former elected politicians here on DCP, and what that elected official allegedly did or did not do in any alleged " threatening " manner. We've been told that political threads, and its resultant discussions are disallowed. This political thread has been up over 4 hours now. Maybe all the mods are away from DCP today now too, who knows.

To be fair, I can see where the word "threatened" gives my words a slant I did not consider. You say DCP has a policy of not using the name of elected politicians, if that's the policy, I did not intend to break it and I apologize. That being said, what I referenced did happen, it is the historical record, not a political stance. The person mentioned did intend to eliminate the NEA over a three year period. 

19 minutes ago, Tim K said:

To be fair, I can see where the word "threatened" gives my words a slant I did not consider. You say DCP has a policy of not using the name of elected politicians, if that's the policy, I did not intend to break it and I apologize. That being said, what I referenced did happen, it is the historical record, not a political stance. The person mentioned did intend to eliminate the NEA over a three year period. 

it really should not matter though, Tim K, as the thread itself is not permissable under my understanding of the DCP rules. Had it been deleted as it should have been, you would never have been put in any position to have to apologize now to me or DCP, or other posters here. it is the mods here that need to huddle, then either explain the rules here on " political threads " more properly to us, or consider apologizing for their failure to properly enforce their own DCP guidelines regarding " political threads ".... that put you in the apologetic position that you need not be in.

Edited by BRASSO

22 minutes ago, DrumManTx said:

This is relevant, don't see why we can't have an adult discussion about it (though it's the Internet and people have already veered away from it).  We don't have to agree either.   

To be objective,  this is just speculation (and quite a bit of fake news!)  at this point.  No budget has published or submitted and certainly not passed by congress.

I agree the arts always seem to be an easy target.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

it really should not matter though, Tim K, as the thread itself is not permissable under my understanding of the DCP rules. Had it been deleted as it should have been, you would never have been out in any position to have to apologize now to me or DCP, or other posters here. it is the modes here that either need to explain the rules here more properly on the inckusion of pilitical threads, or conside apologizing for their failure to properly enforce their own DCP guidelines.... that put you in the apologetic position that you need not be in.

You're really stretching for this one. 

This is a discussion of a (potential) government action. In this sense, it's akin to noise ordinances affecting corps practices or copyright issues. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, kdaddy said:

This is a discussion of a (potential) government action. In this sense, it's akin to noise ordinances affecting corps practices or copyright issues. 

Stop being logical.  It's a conspiracy by the mods!! 

• Like 1

Long ago the school my children attended lost their music teacher. There was silence. The following year a teacher, who played guitar, was hired and within 3 years the middle school was filled with students playing music on begged/borrowed brass/percussion instruments. The concerts were attended by parents, siblings and school staff. The attendance grew where we parents did fund raising for more chairs. It took a few years but I was able to fund raise $10,000 for the school that had 30% participation in music. It wasn't much but it started the ball rolling and the school continued their music program. At the time, years ago, the school principal had marched in drum corps 1970's as did I. We talked. We agreed. Thanks for the reminder. Note to myself. See if the school has a spring concert this year. If so, I'll add it to my 2017 calendar:)

1 minute ago, kdaddy said:

" political threads " are not allowed on DCP. If threads of a clearly political nature were mitakenly allowed before, it only means that political thread topic allowance mistakes were once made before as well. My quest is more simple in nature.... allow " political threads", by amending the current rules, or else enforce the rules in place that " political threads " are not allowed. It is " really stretching "  to attempt to make any case that this thread is not a " political thread ". Of course, its a " political thread ".