National Endowment for the Arts

Just now, lindap said:

My coconuts are ready for travel. Kalump Kalump Kalump (sound effects for Monty Python movies) Onwards we go lol

Which is of course on topic because coconuts are a marching percussion instrument and  the music is clearly brass (well -- there's a lot of brass)

23 minutes ago, BoaDci said:

This is gonna go political real fast.

Of course. Its a " political thread " . thus its bound to either be deleted ( as it should have been right away ) or go the way all political threads eventually so. Divisive as all hell. My guess, its the reason DCP initiallty put these " political threads " on the not allowed category for DCP posting.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, corpsband said:

Which is of course on topic because coconuts are a marching percussion instrument and  the music is clearly brass (well -- there's a lot of brass)

Add this to Music Corps Should Do Thread (seriously). Have fun and add coconuts in the pit. Dear DCP friends. I live North. Music must continue on our continent. Hugs!

15 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

Of course. Its a " political thread " . thus its bound to either be deleted ( as it should have been right away ) or go the way all political threads eventually so. Divisive as all hell. My guess, its the reason DCP initiallty put these " political threads " on the not allowed category for DCP posting.

You never answered my question about if you were just as stern over our discussion of the Colts marching in the Presidential Parade.

ANYWAY

I thought it was pretty interesting to read this paragraph from the NEA's FY 2015 summary.  Not only the budget amount allocated to the NEA tiny,  they seem get a lot of bang for the dollar with matching grants generating nearly 10 times the amount of the NEA endowment.

The NEA’s FY 2015 budget was $146,021,000, the same level as the previous fiscal year. The NEA awarded more than 2,300 grants in every Congressional district in the country, roughly half intended to reach underserved populations. Through its direct grantmaking, the NEA will support more than 30,000 concerts, readings, and performances and more than 5,000 exhibitions of visual and media arts with annual, live attendance of 33 million. NEA-supported broadcast performances on television, radio, and cable will have additional audiences of at least 360 million. NEA awards will generate more than $600 million in matching support; in our direct grantmaking categories alone, the ratio of matching to federal funds will approach 10:1, far surpassing the required non-federal match of at least one to one.

Edited by corpsband

12 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

As a woman, I learned to never talk about politics or religion in mixed company. It's best to talk about music and sports in mixed company. We woman talk about everything and anything when we're together. This topic is about music and politics which is not the status quo. It's time we all talk and listen to each other to come to an understanding.

Years ago I brought all male buyers into a session to explore the business process of procurement for a new computer system. After the visual sessions, a buyer took me aside and said this was the most painful but rewarding session he's attended. They talked, I listened and at the next session I said 'When you have to enter your first requisition on the new computer system, phone me, we'll do it together'. They phoned me. We sat together. We did it!

3 minutes ago, Stu said:

You never answered my question about if you were just as stern over our discussion of the Colts marching in the Presidential Parade.

For that matter we should never discuss the Commandant's Own. (Too bad for my son-in-law but we gotta have rules man!) 

15 minutes ago, corpsband said:

For that matter we should never discuss the Commandant's Own. (Too bad for my son-in-law but we gotta have rules man!) 

Nor can we discuss the Hellcats; in fact... Jeff Prosperie's association with the Hellcats means that we should also be forbidden to discuss his DCI adjudications.

43 minutes ago, Stu said:

Nor can we discuss the Hellcats; in fact... Jeff Prosperie's association with the Hellcats means that we should also be forbidden to discuss his DCI adjudications.

Oh, why stop there if you are going to compare a political thread on Presidential/ Congressional plans for a Fed; Gov't Agency with a DCI judge who is a veteran. Thats as stupid as comparing a Cavs or Crossmen political themed show, with a political discussion thread on protestors burning American Flags, robbing stores, assaulting innocents, and what not. Clearly, there are " political threads " such as a Cavs, Crossmen " political themed " show that are permissable here.  and Jeff's association with the Hellcats, is appropriate. To attempt to align what Jeff does in his off duty, politically inoccuous, non DCI position with that of a " political thread " that involves elected politicians plans for a governmental agency, is not a like kind " political thread " in the least. Nice try guys. But everything in degrees. And these examples, Jeff in the Hellcats, is a poor excuse to justify having a political thread on President/ Congressioinal plans for a governmental agency as somehow not a huge political thread with lots of explosive political divisiveness inherent in the " political thread ". Nobody views Jeff Prosperie's participation in a drumline at West Point as anything of a political nature at all, and certainly not politically divisive in nature... and certainly not in the degree this political thread is. 

Why did DCP institute the policy to disallow" political threads " in the first place. Well, it presumably is to lesson the inherent explosive political divisiveness of such threads. Duh. Jeff's marching in the Hellcats is not divisive along political lines. Got it ?  This thread ? Oh, boy, if allowed to continue, its got potential explosive political divisiveness written all over it. Thats presumably why DCP put a halt to such threads that deal with politicians and what they do, or are planning to do, with a political entity such as the one here on this thread. Kapeche ? or... no comprende still ?

Edited by BRASSO