National Endowment for the Arts

1 hour ago, Stu said:

So I take it that you were just as stern on us discussing the Colts marching in the last Presidential Inauguration parade?

1 hour ago, corpsband said:

For that matter we should never discuss the Commandant's Own. (Too bad for my son-in-law but we gotta have rules man!) 

1 hour ago, Stu said:

Nor can we discuss the Hellcats; in fact... Jeff Prosperie's association with the Hellcats means that we should also be forbidden to discuss his DCI adjudications.

These comments are taken out of context IMO...these examples in my opinion would NOT be considered a political discussion...the other topic (NEA) is borderline IMO...

Edited by Liahona

16 minutes ago, Liahona said:

These comments are taken out of context IMO...these examples in my opinion would NOT be considered a political discussion...the other topic (NEPA) is borderline IMO...

Really?  Suppose a poster is completely anti-military and believes that military music programs seduce the innocent into become part of an organization devoted to murdering other human beings.  

We all project our opinions onto facts and come to conclusions.  Yet someone with different opinions may see the same facts and come to far different conclusions.

DCP is about drum corps -- an art form.   It's perfectly rational to discuss arts funding here.   Because the arts are something we all actively enjoy (because we watch drum corps shows!)   

To follow the path you're suggesting will kill ALL discussion because you can cast any topic as "politics". 

My point(s) here are :

• The moderators are perfectly capable of deciding whether a topic belongs on DCP.   The guidelines are interpreted by them. This isn't a democracy. They are the law!   
  • Discussing whether or not something is against the "rules" does not belong in a post but instead in email.  This is explicitly listed in the posting guidelines.  
  • If a post seems to violate the guidelines in some way, simply press REPORT and let the mods know.  Or PM a mod directly.  Or email support@drumcorpsplanet.com .  But don't clutter up the forum with rules discussions.
Edited by corpsband

1 minute ago, corpsband said:

Really?  Suppose a poster is completely anti-military and believes that military music programs seduce the innocent into become part of an organization devoted to murdering other human beings.  

We all project our opinions onto facts and come to conclusions.  Yet someone with different opinions may see the same facts and come to far different conclusions.

DCP is about drum corps -- an art form.   It's perfectly rational to discuss arts funding here.   Because the arts are something we all actively enjoy (because we watch drum corps shows!)   

To follow the path you're suggesting will kill ALL discussion because you can cast any topic as "politics". 

My point(s) here are :

• The moderators are perfectly capable of deciding whether a topic belongs on DCP.   The guidelines are interpreted by them. This isn't a democracy. They are the law!   
  • Discussing whether or not something is against the "rules" does not belong in a post but instead in email.  This is explicitly listed in the posting guidelines.  
  • If a post seems to violate the guidelines in some way, simply press REPORT and let the mods know.  Or PM a mod directly.  Or email support@drumcorpsplanet.com .  But don't clutter up the forum with rules discussions.

Your military example is ludicrous IMO...

I'm not asking moderators to do anything one way or another...that is their prerogative and not mine...It seems that there is a lot of political rhetoric being thrown around in MANY discussion threads as of late...including even in Boston's thread for that matter...I was only responding to the posts that I feel were NOT politically charged that relate to drum corps specifically...i.e. Colts or Boston for that matter attending a presidential parade or inauguration...I said I feel that discussion about NEA is borderline due to simple fact it is more extraneous than not in terms of the drum corps discussion...especially for the simple fact DCI nor any other member corps to my knowledge receives ANY of these dollars for their programs...perhaps it may be better place in another forum related to groups that are affected by the funding dissolution...

I don't feel like reading through all these pages, so forgive any double posting.

If DCI took one penny from the Feds, kiss the traditions of the Cavaliers and the Madison Scouts goodbye. No more all-male corps -- even though into the 80s, there was an entirely separate contest for "All-Girl" corps who weren't forced into their own class but chose to compete there. Anyway, Title IX would force itself into DCI and end well over 100 years of combined tradition (I know...Carmen/Alice in W-land...).

To the presumed many of you here who have enjoyed so much governmental intrusion into our lives (as long as you agree, of course), be very careful for what you wish. Just because DCI has no government affiliation, what's to stop it from barging in? How about a couple of girls who want to be Cavaliers? That would certainly make news outside greater Chicago. Poor them. The mean boys won't let them play there. Acheson would be the first to roll over and play CYA. "This is a private matter and has nothing to do with the Federal Government," said no Democrat, most Republicans and 5 out of 8 Supreme Court Justices ever.

As long as the Feds are at it, what's to stop them from regulating practices, FEES, travel, color guard uniforms? New copyright laws mar performances to a degree on our recordings. There is absolutely no end to the possibilities of control. Hey, why not redistribute the West Coast wealth to more struggling corps? DCI is admittedly ageist. I'm in good shape; I was great with my chops. I want to be a Cadet, even though I would have aged out 3 West Side Stories ago.  Remember the young man from the U. of Louisville? Pretty decent trumpet player confined to a wheelchair, his dad marched him around on the field. (Ok, it's an amazing story, and someone made an entertaining film based on the family, so find it!) Regardless of the feels, would the Blue Devils still manage 20.0 in Visual Analysis with clunky wheelchairs messing up their half-arcs? How many corps directors are female? Black? Asian? What is the racial/gender makeup of each corps? Why was the Mexican kid cut from BD (even though she couldn't spin a flag in a Maytag dryer)? Careful now.

It all sounds silly, but is it? DCI would have MOUNDS AND MOUNDS of paperwork, rules, regulations through Government Watchdogs ("We're only here to help.").

And like any bloated government program, the NEA gets a set amount of money and MUST spend that in order to Oliver Twist for more the next fiscal year. Where are the receipts? I'd like to see how much goes to instruments, choir books and art supplies.

5 hours ago, Liahona said:

Your military example is ludicrous IMO...

6 hours ago, Liahona said:

These comments are taken out of context IMO...these examples in my opinion would NOT be considered a political discussion...the other topic (NEA) is borderline IMO...

6 hours ago, BRASSO said:

Oh, why stop there if you are going to compare a political thread on Presidential/ Congressional plans for a Fed; Gov't Agency with a DCI judge who is a veteran. Thats as stupid as comparing a Cavs or Crossmen political themed show, with a political discussion thread on protestors burning American Flags, robbing stores, assaulting innocents, and what not. Clearly, there are " political threads " such as a Cavs, Crossmen " political themed " show that are permissable here.  and Jeff's association with the Hellcats, is appropriate. To attempt to align what Jeff does in his off duty, politically inoccuous, non DCI position with that of a " political thread " that involves elected politicians plans for a governmental agency, is not a like kind " political thread " in the least. Nice try guys. But everything in degrees. And these examples, Jeff in the Hellcats, is a poor excuse to justify having a political thread on President/ Congressioinal plans for a governmental agency as somehow not a huge political thread with lots of explosive political divisiveness inherent in the " political thread ". Nobody views Jeff Prosperie's participation in a drumline at West Point as anything of a political nature at all, and certainly not politically divisive in nature... and certainly not in the degree this political thread is. 

Why did DCP institute the policy to disallow" political threads " in the first place. Well, it presumably is to lesson the inherent explosive political divisiveness of such threads. Duh. Jeff's marching in the Hellcats is not divisive along political lines. Got it ?  This thread ? Oh, boy, if allowed to continue, its got potential explosive political divisiveness written all over it. Thats presumably why DCP put a halt to such threads that deal with politicians and what they do, or are planning to do, with a political entity such as the one here on this thread. Kapeche ? or... no comprende still ?

So, the topic of military bands is apolitical? Really? 

22 minutes ago, Tad_MMA said:

I don't feel like reading through all these pages, so forgive any double posting.

If DCI took one penny from the Feds, kiss the traditions of the Cavaliers and the Madison Scouts goodbye. No more all-male corps -- even though into the 80s, there was an entirely separate contest for "All-Girl" corps who weren't forced into their own class but chose to compete there. Anyway, Title IX would force itself into DCI and end well over 100 years of combined tradition (I know...Carmen/Alice in W-land...).

To the presumed many of you here who have enjoyed so much governmental intrusion into our lives (as long as you agree, of course), be very careful for what you wish. Just because DCI has no government affiliation, what's to stop it from barging in? How about a couple of girls who want to be Cavaliers? That would certainly make news outside greater Chicago. Poor them. The mean boys won't let them play there. Acheson would be the first to roll over and play CYA. "This is a private matter and has nothing to do with the Federal Government," said no Democrat, most Republicans and 5 out of 8 Supreme Court Justices ever.

As long as the Feds are at it, what's to stop them from regulating practices, FEES, travel, color guard uniforms? New copyright laws mar performances to a degree on our recordings. There is absolutely no end to the possibilities of control. Hey, why not redistribute the West Coast wealth to more struggling corps? DCI is admittedly ageist. I'm in good shape; I was great with my chops. I want to be a Cadet, even though I would have aged out 3 West Side Stories ago.  Remember the young man from the U. of Louisville? Pretty decent trumpet player confined to a wheelchair, his dad marched him around on the field. (Ok, it's an amazing story, and someone made an entertaining film based on the family, so find it!) Regardless of the feels, would the Blue Devils still manage 20.0 in Visual Analysis with clunky wheelchairs messing up their half-arcs? How many corps directors are female? Black? Asian? What is the racial/gender makeup of each corps? Why was the Mexican kid cut from BD (even though she couldn't spin a flag in a Maytag dryer)? Careful now.

It all sounds silly, but is it? DCI would have MOUNDS AND MOUNDS of paperwork, rules, regulations through Government Watchdogs ("We're only here to help.").

And like any bloated government program, the NEA gets a set amount of money and MUST spend that in order to Oliver Twist for more the next fiscal year. Where are the receipts? I'd like to see how much goes to instruments, choir books and art supplies.

Wow, that's a HUGE leap to make from NEA funding cuts to "the Feds" barging into the center of drum corps.

I find it extremely ironic that you'd post this today.  You must be thinking of the prior administration's record of regulations.

Funding cuts at the NEA (AGAIN: "Pi$$ Christ") may, in fact draw more individual funding but, at a minimum and exactly like the drum corps that make up the activity, it will learn to live and thrive on the fees turned over to them by the people who support what they do.

The NEA could learn a thing or two from drum corps, IMO.

Now, if I'd spent my entire life in the bubble of public support like so many arts organizations, this news might garner more disdain from me.

• Like 2

Your snowflakes are getting on me.  Let people make their own decisions and stop bossing the world.  The nanny state thing has gotten old.

16 minutes ago, Stu said:

And..... still no reply from Brasso concerning whether or not the topic of the Colts marching in a previous Presidential Inauguration Parade should be taboo.

Uh,Stu...

You are forgetting your alma mater Cadets marched for Obama, Crusaders for JFK, and Troopers for Bush and others.

I really believe the arts would be better AND the "NEA" would be better if the organization was taken into the private sector through reorganization

It should be a private entity, NGO, non-partisan. Not a government entity or role IMO

Reorganizing it as an NGO would probably increase donations and impact. JMO

• Like 4