National Endowment for the Arts

The latest news on the upcoming budget indicates that the National Endowment of the Arts, which has a $149 million budget for 2017, is targeted for complete defunding. This federal agency provides grants for art, music, and theatre across the U.S.

I'm wondering what impact this will have on DCI. Does DCI receive any funding from NEA? Have they in the past? Any attack on the arts is troublesome for DCI, but this seems like one that could potentially have a direct impact. 

This is not the first time that the NEA has faced defunding. I believe Ronald Reagan threatened the same thing. 

• Like 1

A decade ago, I read a New Yorker article about Sibelius, one of (if not solely) my faves. One thing that stuck with me was the extent to which the Finnish government supported the arts. I don't know what makes up the Finnish arts budget relative to the NEA, but here's a decade-old quote: "The annual Finnish expenditure on the arts is roughly two hundred times per capita what the United States government spends through the National Endowment for the Arts." The 2015 Finnish arts expenditure was 450M euros, or about $480M today. Contrast that with our pithy $149M. The population of Finland is about that of Colorado. There are many superlatives for Scandinavia, federal appreciation of the arts is but one.

The national pride surrounding one guy, Sibelius, essentially led to the emphasis on arts funding. To make America great again, I wish Americans included "arts" in their discussion of American exceptionalism (and while the famous quote begins that sentence, I really have zero political motivations for it - after all, the pithy $149M budget was determined under the current president). One of America's greatest gifts to the world is jazz - this alone should motivate more arts funding (just ask 02 BD).

Linky to the NYer: http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2007/07/09/apparition-in-the-woods

• Like 2

Have  DCP  mods  suspended the curb on political thread discussions  ? It certainly is confusing as to what political threads are allowable and which are not.... and why.

Edited by BRASSO

2 hours ago, Tim K said:

This is not the first time that the NEA has faced defunding. I believe Ronald Reagan threatened the same thing. 

I did not know that we could utilize the names of current or former elected politicians here on DCP, and what that elected official allegedly did or did not do in any alleged " threatening " manner. We've been told that political threads, and its resultant discussions are disallowed. This political thread has been up over 4 hours now. Maybe all the mods are away from DCP today now too, who knows.

Edited by BRASSO

12 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

Have  DCP  mods  suspended the curb on political thread discussions  ? It certainly is confusing as to what political threads are allowable and which are not.... and why.

Amen Brother.

• Like 1