National Endowment for the Arts

3 hours ago, Stu said:

Are you 100% positive no DCI corps has ever received a Governmental Grant or funding from a Governmental entity such as the National Endowment of the Arts?

In fact many corps apply for and receive grants .  it would not surprise me at all if some of those grants come from governments entities.

Edited by corpsband

1 hour ago, Fran Haring said:

All great points. One issue...one that has been around as long as government money is spent on anything... is that every program/initiative/department funded by taxpayer dollars has its own constituency that immediately talks of a doomsday scenario if one dime of spending is reduced. LOL. I am NOT at all saying government does not have a role to play in many areas... (as a libertarian at heart, probably too many areas for my taste...LOL) but maybe, just maybe, things like arts funding would be in better hands with the private sector. 

Which is why setting up Federal agencies and providing Federal handouts is so fraught with danger.  Every budget reduction is Ruining People's Lives !!!!     I've often thought the best way to cut the Federal budget is by across-the-board reductions in budgets for all agencies by the same percentage.  Then no one is being singled out.  

6 minutes ago, corpsband said:

In fact many corps apply for and receive grants .  it would not surprise me at all if some of those grants come from governments entities.

That's interesting.  Can you provide an example?

19 minutes ago, corpsband said:

The problem with that is  a LOT of the NGO funding these organization receive comes in as a direct result of the initial grant from the NEArts.   How do I know that?  Read my earlier post from the NEArts annual statement.  

NEA awards will generate more than $600 million in matching support; in our direct grantmaking categories alone, the ratio of matching to federal funds will approach 10:1, far surpassing the required non-federal match of at least one to one.

This is an easy fix for patrons who actually support the NP.  "Matching" funds are a great marketing ploy, but they aren't hard and fast ultimatums.  Ever.

11 minutes ago, garfield said:

This is an easy fix for patrons who actually support the NP.  "Matching" funds are a great marketing ploy, but they aren't hard and fast ultimatums.  Ever.

Getting am NEArts endowment or grants makes a non-profit legit in the eyes of many grant givers.  Not really such an easy fix if foundation says "we'll match any funds you receive from the NEArts".  

Edited by corpsband