HEAVILY Revised G7?

First off, I want to say I am very much learning about this activity more and more.  I ask you to bear with me as I join the countless number G7/ George Hopkins related threads.  I first started reading about G7 and found it absolutely repulsive.  The fact that Drum Corps were going to be split by division is disgusting.  All I can see in this is a selfish money grab.  But I think it would be interesting if we revised the proposed G7.  What if we ditched the other "Divisions" and called the "Tour of Champions" the top 7 from the previous year.  That way you are using corps that earned the merit most recently, and it gives a new kind of reward (for lack of a better term) for what was achieved and get to tour with the best of the previous season.   I would still ditch the "AAA", "AA", "A" division system.  I dont know just a thought.  Please dont attack me.:thumbs-up:

Edited by BoaDci

You are forewarned, BoaDCI,  there are some people on here that are perfectly fine in supporting discussion threads about national politics revolving around Fed. Gov't programs, but will get a terrible case of the vapors if you want to start a thread topic  discussion again on the internal politics called the G7 attempted political coup on DCI a few years ago. Your quest to not be attacked for bringing up the G7 again for discussion here is a noble " quest " from you. But have your steed ready, your body armour positioned correctly, and your sword sharpened for the possible onslaught. ( lol!)

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, BRASSO said:

You are forewarned, BoaDCI,  there are some people on here that are perfectly fine in supporting discussion threads about national politics revolving around Fed. Gov't programs, but will get a terrible case of the vapors if you want to start a thread topic  discussion again on the internal politics called the G7 in DCI. Your quest to not be attacked for bringing up the G7 again is a noble " quest " for you. But have your sword ready, and the body armour positioned correctly. ( lol!)

Regretting my decision...then I realize Im a nuisance on this forum anyway:sigh:

• Like 1

You are not a " nuisance " at all. You are a fine DCP poster, imo... and I enjoy reading your posts.

I found it refreshing that as a relatively newcomer to DCI, you were able to look at the G7 period with unbiased and objective eyes and come away with how deplorable and shamelessly indefensible the behind the scenes, closed doors, coup attempt by the G7 on DCI was. I think it best to let sleeping dogs lie regarding any further discussion now of this sorry saga from the G7 on their fellow DCI Corps, but to remain vigilant and cognicent of the fact that the 2 people that primarily cooked up this devious, closed door scheme,( and regrettably and sadly brought 5 other Corps Directors along), are still Corps Directors of their particular Corps, and still swing considerable political leverage within DCI.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, BoaDci said:

First off, I want to say I am very much learning about this activity more and more.  I ask you to bear with me as I join the countless number G7/ George Hopkins related threads.  I first started reading about G7 and found it absolutely repulsive.  The fact that Drum Corps were going to be split by division is disgusting.  All I can see in this is a selfish money grab.  But I think it would be interesting if we revised the proposed G7.  What if we ditched the other "Divisions" and called the "Tour of Champions" the top 7 from the previous year.  That way you are using corps that earned the merit most recently, and it gives a new kind of reward (for lack of a better term) for what was achieved and get to tour with the best of the previous season.   I would still ditch the "AAA", "AA", "A" division system.  I dont know just a thought.  Please dont attack me.:thumbs-up:

Because the TOC was a placation to the Seven where-in they were able to renegotiate the already-tilted performance payout schedule to favor just seven corps.  The original rationale was that "...they are the draw".  By continuing to segregate out the Seven into their own show (with their own pay schedule) one is creating "classes" anyway, even if they're not called AAA, AA, or whatever.

There aren't enough corps to fill a full tour anyway.  Putting seven of the top finishers into a single show deprives the rest of the tour fans (and TEPs) of their performances.  And because DCI does the scheduling, the TOC also crowds out other shows in the same geography that would otherwise participate in the night's gate.

The TOC series was never about showcasing the prior year's top-7.  It was always about rewarding the Seven who were bold enough (or duped enough) to support the proposal despite the destruction that it would bring to the rest of the activity.

Edited by garfield
  • Like 2

There must be some large number of fans like me who attend shows almost entirely based on when and where. Not who. Great if top or favorite corps happen to be scheduled, but it just isn't practical to zero in on only the top groups. I'm aware of TOC events, but don't think I consider that title at all when planning the summer.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mjoakes said:

There must be some large number of fans like me who attend shows almost entirely based on when and where. Not who. Great if top or favorite corps happen to be scheduled, but it just isn't practical to zero in on only the top groups. I'm aware of TOC events, but don't think I consider that title at all when planning the summer.

Thats me.  Ill go to local shows (which for me there are none, the closest one is 3 hours away and the only WC corps is SCV) and sometimes championships.  

• Like 1

Sorry BoaDci, but your notion is neither practical nor should be wanted as the future of the activity, IMO.  One opinion driven home during the actual G-7 events was that the activity is stronger as a whole in myriad ways.  IMO, at this time of drum corps' path, nothing should be done to split the group of remaining corps any further than it is.  Obviously, the entire goal of the G-7 proposal was to re-direct money flow to a smaller group of corps, which failed.  It would also be unacceptable to slice the pie in any way that doesn't recognize the efforts and accomplishments of the "top" corps.  It's also unreasonable to think that the "top corps" wouldn't love to have more competition, fans, and growth like everyone else.  The true repudiation of the entire G-7 effort will be a member vote that actively directs some portion of tour income to enhancing and growing the Open Class. In the meantime, there is an active effort to share best practices among the corps to improve balance sheet stability in the entire activity along with a robust review process to keep dreamy-eyes from putting kids at risk in unrealistic expectations.

The future of the activity is not in how the pie is sliced, it's in growing the pie for all participant/member corps to enjoy.  More effort needs directed on the latter, and less on the former, IMO.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, BoaDci said:

First off, I want to say I am very much learning about this activity more and more.  I ask you to bear with me as I join the countless number G7/ George Hopkins related threads.

Thanks for initiating a new discussion of this topic, even if some others might find it hashed out enough already. New here, too, I am constantly searching back for some sense of what has been said before. Or avoiding a comment because it likely has been made in some way or another before. Some hesitation is prudent, I think, and also respectful of those who have kept the forums active for many years. But we will go nuts if we must become deep historical researchers before any participation.

As with forums everywhere, it's always an option for those tired of a topic or uninterested to just avoid it. And there are several posters on DCP who are really helpful guides as they explain things from their experiences or from the past.

A few others could use a juicing up of their sense of humor. 

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, garfield said:

The future of the activity is not in how the pie is sliced, it's in growing the pie for all participant/member corps to enjoy.  More effort needs directed on the latter, and less on the former, IMO.

Couldn't agree more. The success of DCI and drum corps in general will arise from its growth. The only way that happens is by having more people involved not by idolizing the top 7. The top 7 do amazing things but we need drum corps at all levels from 10 year olds performing at local shows to 21 year olds performing at championships, and they need to see each other perform so the younger people can be inspired by the older people. Kinda like how a elementary school age flag football playing looks at professionals football players and says "I could be that."

• Like 4