HEAVILY Revised G7?

5 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Had the G7 formed just five years earlier with the same apparent criteria applied, I think its membership would have been a little different (well, five corps would be the same). The "coup" seemed to me like an attempt to make a temporary status quo into a permanent elite.

Yep, I would have been fine if they hadnt of made permanent.

On 1/20/2017 at 3:21 PM, corpsband said:

Things actually were adopted from the ill-fated proposal.    The TOC format was created,  new sheets adopted  In fact TOC shows actually do include corps outside the G7  (meaning those who agree to attend -- some corps apparently turn the option down).   I agree with you that it would make more sense to have last years top 7 be the "TOC" corps in the following year.  

But if you look at placements,  such a provision wouldn't have changed things much.  Since 2011 I think BK would have appeared twice  (Cavies and PR both missed top 7 once). In any case good solutions are when nobody gets everything they want and clearly compromises were made.  Remember that DCI is --  in a very real sense  -- the corps directors.  They voted on everything you see today.  

People were upset with the proposal  -- and rightly so.  Not only were many of the concepts poorly conceived,  the actual presentation was written in such an arrogant style that it was just insulting.  

But IMO it did light a fire at DCI.  Seven finalist corps were upset enough with the current state of affairs to even make the proposal.  Prior to that whole fiasco,  DCI was just on autopilot.   I don't think that's the case any more.  Lots of initiatives (Soundsport, Drumline Battle,  international outreach, etc..).  Were those a direct result of the G7?  Perhaps not but IMO they were certainly fueled by it's implications.

So perhaps in the end there was some "good" that came out of the whole ordeal. 

Sorry, but that underlined part is just not accurate.  Far from being on autopilot, DCI had just developed a five-year business plan for growth, with ideas from people across the entire spectrum of DCI membership and staff, and seemingly unanimous support.  The G7 episode put all that on the back burner for several years.  Only after the G7 fuss stopped did we see the kind of ideas you cite above, or the surprising growth in participation and attendance of the past few years.

• Like 1