HEAVILY Revised G7?

21 minutes ago, jimthetuba said:

Couldn't agree more. The success of DCI and drum corps in general will arise from its growth. The only way that happens is by having more people involved not by idolizing the top 7. The top 7 do amazing things but we need drum corps at all levels from 10 year olds performing at local shows to 21 year olds performing at championships, and they need to see each other perform so the younger people can be inspired by the older people. Kinda like how a elementary school age flag football playing looks at professionals football players and says "I could be that."

It irritates me more that the "Top 7" are corps that he decided were the best.  It wasnt based on placement.  

3 minutes ago, BoaDci said:

It irritates me more that the "Top 7" are corps that he decided were the best.  It wasnt based on placement.  

Well I mean in his defense, as much as what he did wasn't good, to go off of placement isn't always the best methodology, I mean BAC got 12th this year, Madison but 13th but does that really speak to the quality of the Corps?

• Like 1

Just now, jimthetuba said:

Well I mean in his defense, as much as what he did wasn't good, to go off of placement isn't always the best methodology, I mean BAC got 12th this year, Madison but 13th but does that really speak to the quality of the Corps?

Very true.

10 hours ago, BoaDci said:

I first started reading about G7 and found it absolutely repulsive.  The fact that Drum Corps were going to be split by division is disgusting.  All I can see in this is a selfish money grab.  

Thank you for reading before posting.  I see your reading comprehension skills are good, too.

What if we ditched the other "Divisions" and called the "Tour of Champions" the top 7 from the previous year.  That way you are using corps that earned the merit most recently, and it gives a new kind of reward (for lack of a better term) for what was achieved and get to tour with the best of the previous season.

That would be better than using the top 7 from 2010 over and over, true.  

Another good idea, IMO, is to tear down the wall between 7 and 8 by allowing additional corps to participate in the TOC, like DCI is currently doing.

Better still... combine both ideas.

5 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

Thank you for reading before posting.  I see your reading comprehension skills are good, too.

That would be better than using the top 7 from 2010 over and over, true.  

Another good idea, IMO, is to tear down the wall between 7 and 8 by allowing additional corps to participate in the TOC, like DCI is currently doing.

Better still... combine both ideas.

Yeah, delegating who gets to be in the Tour of Champions would work well.  It would be cool too if all the finalists from the previous year were pooled in a vote and the fans get to choose who they want in the "Tour" for the next year. 

Edited by BoaDci

3 minutes ago, MikeN said:

After many, many years of interacting with drum corps fans, the last thing in the world I want is for them to have a vote on anything substantive.  Let DCI (in this case, the member corps) figure it out themselves.

Mike

I agree, I would just suggest something like that to keep the fans quiet.  Mainly the high school kids who have just gotten into dci this year (nothing wrong with that) and talk about why The Academy should have won this year (there IS something wrong with that), or the people that think Tilt should have won in 2014.   I think having Fan Favorite categories or things decided on by the fans might get some people to stop whining.  I dont know just my opinion.  

"Good evening, ladies and gentlemen... welcome to Met Life Stadium in East Rutherford, NJ, for tonight's edition of the Heavily Revised G7 Showcase!!!" :tongue:

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BoaDci said:

I agree, I would just suggest something like that to keep the fans quiet.  Mainly the high school kids who have just gotten into dci this year (nothing wrong with that) and talk about why The Academy should have won this year (there IS something wrong with that), or the people that think Tilt should have won in 2014.   I think having Fan Favorite categories or things decided on by the fans might get some people to stop whining.  I dont know just my opinion.  

No rule change, or revisiting past methods, will EVER keep fans quiet. Nor will it stop the "high school kids" as you stated, from sharing their feelings.

• Like 1