12 minutes ago, jimthetuba said:

Yeah and I hope corps go back to how y'all did it. I'm not always a big fan of the idea "it was better back in the old days" but this is one situation I have to agree with.

I doubt that anyone would go back to that route, but that's just my opinion. I won't begin to say that the rehearsals weren't intense, they were, but for whatever reason it worked for us.

• Like 1

The Blue Devils are the gold standard in scheduling. They have had seasons with as much as 20-25% less shows compared to their peer Corps competing for a Championship. We never ( or rarely ) hear of them getting bedraggled on tour, nor any sickness, food poisoning, or widespread flu.  They have 1st rate practice facilities on tour most of the time, and the less shows per summer has them rested as can be, compared with their peer competitors, for Championships week.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 3

What I know of most corps scheduling processes, EPL is scheduled first (if applicable that day), then rehearsal time is scheduled, and the remainder is sleep. Ideal world, I'd see 6-8 hours of sleep per night, with bus time counting as half time (ie. 4 hours on the bus = 2 hours of sleep, followed by 4-6 hours of floor time). Ya, your rehearsal time would get cut down, but you'd probably have a higher quality rehearsal.

8 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

The Blue Devils are the gold standard in scheduling. They have had seasons with as much as 20-25% less shows compared to their peer Corps competing for a Championship. We never ( or rarely ) hear of them getting bedraggled on tour, nor any sickness, food poisoning, or widespread flu.  They have 1st rate practice facilities on tour most of the time, and the less shows per summer has them rested as can be, compared with their peer competitors, for Championships week.

Heck, Ive seen them book NFL stadiums just 'cause.  I think it was the Bills in 2015.

Edited by BoaDci

19 minutes ago, BoaDci said:

Heck, Ive seen them book NFL stadiums just 'cause.  I think it was the Bills in 2015.

Boston paid out $45,000 to rent Lucas Stadium for practice last summer at Championships in hopes that it might just give them that extra tiny edge. The indoor, air conditioned, " home field " practice site investment of Lucas Stadium at Indy ( Championships stadium ) seemingly worked for Boston last season. Those few extra precious tenths, probably found at that practice, were likely very helpful to their Finals Week comeback, and catapulting them to making Finals once again, imo.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, ouooga said:

Ideal world, I'd see 6-8 hours of sleep per night, with bus time counting as half time (ie. 4 hours on the bus = 2 hours of sleep, followed by 4-6 hours of floor time). Ya, your rehearsal time would get cut down, but you'd probably have a higher quality rehearsal.

If they ever become cost effective, sleeper buses should help in the rest department.  This link I believe, is the company Boston has used for two years for staff and some volunteers.   Talking with the driver at Boston's 75th Gala, the company was working on a design for close to 50 beds.  The rental for one of these buses is not far off what corps pay currently for a standard bus.

http://www.sleeperbus.co/

Edited by Ghost
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

Back when I marched in BD, each member was assigned a personal assistant.  When we arrived at our next housing site in the morning, all the assistants had to go out and cover our spots in the rehearsal while the members slept.   The assistants also performed in prelim shows when they were held the same day as evening finals, while the members only performed at the night show.

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, c mor said:

Back when I marched in BD, each member was assigned a personal assistant.  When we arrived at our next housing site in the morning, all the assistants had to go out and cover our spots in the rehearsal while the members slept.   The assistants also performed in prelim shows when they were held the same day as evening finals, while the members only performed at the night show.

I did not know this. Sounds like BD did everything they could to best prepare their performers to perform at peak performance levels as much as humanly possible. Not surprising, given BD's excellent track record here in having such preparations.. including adequate sleep and the restorative benefits that provides.... in place for its performers. Thanks for sharing. It is educational to learn new things like this, imo. its good to know that the assistants were this good as performers that they could get up early and perform well at prelims, and then presumably go back to sleep at Finals at BD.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, c mor said:

When did you march them?

44 minutes ago, c mor said:

That's like having a whole back up corps.  That's a lot of meals.  Did these assistants take part in the whole season or just a few shows spread out during the season?