Drum Corps and Grants

A spin off of the locked NEA thread was drum corps and grants.  

I made the assertion that many drum corps apply for grants and it would not surprise me to find that some of those grants come from government agencies.

I was asked for an example.

So here you go:

Crown recently received a grant from the South Carolina Arts Commission, a state agency.  

From their website:

The South Carolina Arts Commission, an autonomous state agency governed by a nine-member Board of Commissioners, was created by an act of the state legislature in 1967.

I'm sure there are many other examples.  Grant writing is a growing activity in the drum corps. And many arts grants are made by government agencies.

Anyone else have more examples?

This is the Mods sandbox and they make the rules, so I am fine with that.  But... I take it by the other thread getting shut down that while DCI corps can engage in receiving money from the Government, which is by nature a political entity, we are not allowed to engage in discussions concerning the subject.  That makes perfect sense to me!

Edited by Stu

1 minute ago, Stu said:

So... I take it by the other thread getting shut down that while DCI corps can engage in receiving money from the Government, which is by nature a political entity, we are not allowed to engage in discussions concerning the subject.  That makes perfect sense to me!

Maybe BRASSO will just cut and paste his previous comments about political inferences. 

10 minutes ago, Stu said:

This is the Mods sandbox and they make the rules, so I am fine with that.  But... I take it by the other thread getting shut down that while DCI corps can engage in receiving money from the Government, which is by nature a political entity, we are not allowed to engage in discussions concerning the subject.  That makes perfect sense to me!

Well I'm limiting the topic to just "Do Drum Corps get grants from government agencies?"  

Not discussing any specific political issue, new item, or forum rule!    

Edited by corpsband

27 minutes ago, Ghost said:

Maybe BRASSO will just cut and paste his previous comments about political inferences. 

No need. JohnZ eventually did the right thing,albeit belatedly, and did enforce the rules prohibiting. " political threads " appropriately here  by closing the other thread, ...and I 'd be remiss if I did not acknowledge this publically now. So all is good re. the proper enforcement of the forum rules, insofar as that other thread is concerned.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

No need. JohnZ eventually did the right thing,albeit belatedly, and did enforce the rules prohibiting. " political threads " appropriately here  by closing the other thread, ...and I 'd be remiss if I did not acknowledge this publically now. So all is good re. the proper enforcement of the forum rules, insofar as that other thread is concerned.

Brasso, my question in the other thread was apolitical, and it was apolitical until you came wildly thrashing in throwing a tantrum. You are literally why we can't have nice things. 

I see see this as a nice continuation of my question. If DCI hasn't received any funding directly, that sure doesn't mean corps haven't applied for grants themselves. I'm pretty certain the Blue Knights occasionally receive grants from the state of Colorado, either through SCFD or a different endowment. I'll have to do some digging to find out. 

I was hoping Garfield might chime in with those tax forms. Those might disclose funding of this sort...

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, shofmon88 said:

Brasso, my question in the other thread was apolitical, and it was apolitical until you came wildly thrashing in throwing a tantrum. You are literally why we can't have nice things. 

" Tantrum " ? I don't think I was able to increase my standing metabolic low pulse rate on the other thread, let alone get into a high energy " tantrum " mode there.

I want you to have nice things too. I like most nice things. JohnZ agreed with me, that thread was not allowed under the current DCP guidelines prohibiting " political threads". He did the right thing here by enforcing the DCP guidelines that YOU ( and all of us ) agreed too upon our registering here. If you think the decision was an infringment on your ability to receive nice things on here, then I suggest you take that up with him. In the meantime, I do hope you have a nice day, anyway.

Edited by BRASSO

General Grant was one efficient General, imo

I'm not a big music fan of Amy Grant though. I don't think I've received any Christmas cards from her. ' Guess I'm not currently on her mailing list.

Cary Grant received an Oscar.  He was a nice actor, imo

• Like 1