Stan Kenton, Johnny Richards, and the mellophonium

Through my graduate work, I have been exploring Stan Kenton's mellophonium band ('60-'63) and the influence this ensemble along with Johnny Richards compositions had on the use of the middle voice in the drum and bugle corps brass literature.  As I have been digging through a great deal of literature, thanks to Scooter over at The Middle Voice Leader, I discovered the inactive Suncoast Sound's show was based off Johnny Richard's composition and special arrangement for Kenton, "Adventures In Time".  

The question I am hoping some of our hard core corps fans will be able to answer....did any other drum and bugle corps adapt charts from the Kenton band either before the mellophonium section was introduced or directly from the mellophonium era?  Any information will certainly help me find potential new sources to pursue.  

Thank you!!! 

1 hour ago, Penn State said:

Through my graduate work, I have been exploring Stan Kenton's mellophonium band ('60-'63) and the influence this ensemble along with Johnny Richards compositions had on the use of the middle voice in the drum and bugle corps brass literature.  As I have been digging through a great deal of literature, thanks to Scooter over at The Middle Voice Leader, I discovered the inactive Suncoast Sound's show was based off Johnny Richard's composition and special arrangement for Kenton, "Adventures In Time".  

The question I am hoping some of our hard core corps fans will be able to answer....did any other drum and bugle corps adapt charts from the Kenton band either before the mellophonium section was introduced or directly from the mellophonium era?  Any information will certainly help me find potential new sources to pursue.  

Thank you!!! 

Are you looking for who used his charts pre-1960?

Try corpsreps, although not much pre-1960 info.

6 hours ago, Penn State said:

Thank you!!! 

Argonne Rebels did a killer version of Fanfare for the New in 1973, arranged by Kenton's lead trumpet player. Kenton's band was using french horns by that time (mid-60's), but still with the idea of an extra section of voices in the band. And lots of corps including Blue Devils drew heavily from Kenton's 1956 album Cuban Fire.

Edited by drangin

Back on June 18, 2004, I posted this on the soundmachine forum:

Frank Minear, who was a drum corps instructor/arranger/member, as well as former lead trumpet for the Stan Kenton Orchestra died yesterday. 

Minear, who also authored a high-note trumpet playing method book, won the 1991 DCA Soloist of the Year award while marching as a member of Minnesota Brass. 

Frank arranged the amazing "Fanfare For The New", a Kenton tune, for the Argonne Rebels in 1973..... a chart which ushered in a new era for brass performance on a football field. Despite the fact that the Rebels only took 11th at those 1973 DCI finals, Argonne took 2nd (to the world champion SCV) in musical analysis, showing just how effective Frank's work was. Anybody who was around drum corps in those days knows just what a breakthrough piece of brass arranging that 1973 Minear chart was. He joined the Argonne staff to help teach the brass that season. 

11 hours ago, drangin said:

Argonne Rebels did a killer version of Fanfare for the New in 1973, arranged by Kenton's lead trumpet player. Kenton's band was using french horns by that time (mid-60's), but still with the idea of an extra section of voices in the band. And lots of corps including Blue Devils drew heavily from Kenton's 1956 album Cuban Fire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyxuqMS2BLU

Other attempts to put F4N on the field have paled in both musicality and dynamism in my opinion. Recent attempts have been so chopped up that the spark of the original never comes across at all. It's a piece that still has potential and possibility for today's modern drum corps challenges for MMs and enjoyment by the judges and audience. I very much fell in love with it when Argonne did it back then. Thanks to you and Northern Thunder for bringing back great memories.

Edited by xandandl
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, xandandl said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyxuqMS2BLU

Other attempts to put F4N on the field have paled in both musicality and dynamism in my opinion. Recent attempts have been so chopped up that the spark of the original never comes across at all. It's a piece that still has potential and possibility for today's modern drum corps challenges for MMs and enjoyment by the judges and audience. I very much fell in love with it when Argonne did it back then. Thanks to you and Northern Thunder for bringing back great memories.

Completely agree! Such a great piece.

On January 22, 2017 at 5:52 PM, Lance said:

http://corpsreps.com/search.cfm

For "Search", click composer, and type in Richards, Johnny and/or Kenton, Stan.

I think 91 BD has something you're looking for. 

My favorite portion of that show was the Fugue section. (and the Ballad)

• Like 1