Favorite Original/Orchestral/Vocal/Band Versions of DCI Staple Music Pieces

On 1/24/2017 at 2:58 PM, Lance said:

This is for what you think represent great recordings of pieces that have been used widely (okay, maybe even in excess :bored:)in DCI over the years. So like Appalachian Spring, Elsa's Process, West Side Story, etc. 

I'll start. 

There are a gazillion arrangements of "Elsa's Procession" out there, but this is easily my favorite arrangement and recording of it. The President's Own can almost be too pretty/perfect at times, but their low brass really push it at the end of this recording. Stunning, IMO.

A friend of mine that I played trombone with in high school band, and graduated with, has been a member of The President's Own for some time now. Needless to say, I kept that 2nd chair spot nice and warm for four years. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, frachel said:

What a fun performance--and what an engaged audience!

Crown 2014

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/24/2017 at 2:58 PM, Lance said:

This is for what you think represent great recordings of pieces that have been used widely (okay, maybe even in excess :bored:)in DCI over the years. So like Appalachian Spring, Elsa's Process, West Side Story, etc. 

I'll start. 

There are a gazillion arrangements of "Elsa's Procession" out there, but this is easily my favorite arrangement and recording of it. The President's Own can almost be too pretty/perfect at times, but their low brass really push it at the end of this recording. Stunning, IMO.

Best recording for me on this is Eastmans Wind Ensemble under the direction of Frederick Feneley, doing several of Wagners snippets from his Operas, the CD is titled, Wagner for Band.  When the French Horn, Baritone, Trombone, Tuba line comes through in final few measures it absolutely makes the hairs on your arms and neck straighten.  If it is in tune, and believe you can tell, you can actually feel it, it just about lifts you out of your seat.  Our beloved Band Director at Central Michigan University, Norman Dietz, used to bring in all the low brass and French Horns from the Concert Band into his Wind Ensemble for that piece when he conducted this.  You can't imagine what power is generated by 40 or so low brass and Horns on that particular piece, when they are in tune.  It is life altering.

Edited by Vdad76

As a retired HS Coral Director, I have been able to see Chanticleer in performance several times in concerts, clinics etc.  However, the best times I have been able to see them was up close as I was in charge of the rehearsal/performance venue for the SW division of the American Choral Directors Assn. conventions in Kansas City twice.  I got to meet them, spend time listening and watching rehearsals and got to spend time with them after their performances as they lounged for a while afterwards in the dressing room area they had which was adjacent to a lounge area for pre-performance tuning, last minute rehearsal and after wards relaxing.  They are a great group of guys and even though there had been a large turnover in their group personnel in the 20 years between being able to see them in this setting, there were guys that remembered meeting me the first time through.  The Beibl price is a stunning piece live, as you would expect, moving audiences to tears and standing ovations.  I loved the rendition that Phantom put forth and have enjoyed greatly hearing many of the Choral pieces that have been brought to the field.  I'll add the following - 

1989 Cavies - performing John Rutters, Gloria.  Recorded by, John Rutters group, the Cambridge Singers on the CD titled GLORIA!

2013 Carolina Crown - Phillip Glass composition, Vessels.  Recorded by Western Wind on the CD titled, An Almost A Cappella Songbook.

1974 Blue Devils - Chant and Jubilo by Francis McBeth.  Recorded by Hardin-Simmons University under McBeths' direction.

1973 Santa Clara Vanguard - Fanfare and Allegro by Clifton Williams.   Recorded by Eastman Wind Ensemble on CD titled British Band Classics conducted by Frederick Fennell.

1975 27th Lancers - Crown Imperial by William Walton.  Recording by Eastman Wind Ensemble on CD titled British Band Classics.

1980 27th Lancers - English Folk Song Suite by Ralph Vaughn Willams.  Recording by 
The Cleveland Symphonic Winds, conducted by Frederick Fennell.