Drum Corps = Politics

37 minutes ago, BoaDci said:

How has this not been closed!? 

Because, although discussed many times, it is still and interesting topic which, in this discussion, is looking at it from a different perspective.  And everyone is being civil about it.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, tesmusic said:

The item I believe you're leaving out though BRASSO is that SCV sent those members packing before the performance, whereas The Muchachos had them on the field during their finals performance.

I thought Muchachos were bagged at prelims and never made it to Finals.  It was all the talk when we were going on the field that morning.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tesmusic said:

As in all of politics, it seems that we forget some details when we make arguments. As xandandl pointed out, The Muchachos had a number of overage members, as SCV had the 2.

The item I believe you're leaving out though BRASSO is that SCV sent those members packing before the performance, whereas The Muchachos had them on the field during their finals performance.

Inaccurate. Muchachos in '75 were disqualified after their prelims performance.. turned in by the Cavaliers, and their prelims score purged and not released publically .The Muchachos never participated at Finals. The members sat and watched Finals in the stands. SCV also utilized overage , illegal marchers in '89. They unilaterally reported it to DCI allegedly when they found out about it after their Semi's performance. SCV however was allowed to go on to Finals, the reason given, unlike the Muchachos earlier, SCV came forth themselves with the use of illegal participants at Prelims ( and all season long ). However, the NCAA would never allow such continuation in a Championships tournament, no matter how the illegal participation became revealed to them. Muchachos in '75, and SCV in '89 would both have been disqualified from participation at Finals if they were teams in an NCAA Championships tournament. But insofar as DCI is concerned, SCV had political standing and political influence within DCI. Muchachos had neither . So that was that.

Edited by BRASSO

2 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

Inaccurate. Muchachos were disqualified after their Semi's performance. They never participated at Finals. The members sat and watched Finals in the stands.

Or played "The Lone Bull" from behind the stands.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

Or played "The Lone Bull" from behind the stands.

To be heard on PBS...

Man... that day in 1975.

Of course, it was well before the Internet "instant information" days... so I and others from my local-circuit junior corps from NJ went to Philly that day to see Finals... and it was then we found out that the Muchachos had been DQ'd. 

We were absolutely stunned. It wasn't until later that we began to find out details about what happened. We had heard all sorts of rumors about them having overage members... heck, there were some local-circuit corps with overage folks that year and other years, including my junior corps for at least one year in the early 1970s.  (NOT at all excusing what Muchachos did... just pointing out that it was not uncommon for a junior corps to field an overage member or two or three back then. It was wrong then, and it is now.) 

I was a Madison Scouts fan... and was very glad they won. They had a great corps and were a deserving champion. 

But that day in Philly was a dark chapter in drum corps history.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

.  (NOT at all excusing what Muchachos did... just pointing out that it was not uncommon for a junior corps to field an overage member or two or three back then. It was wrong then, and it is now.) 

I was a Madison Scouts fan... and was very glad they won. They had a great corps and were a deserving champion. 

True. The Madison Scouts won fair and square in '75, and were deserving Champions. I loved that show from them that season.

Would the Muchachos have beaten Madison at Semi's, Finals. ? Who knows. other than they were right there in the mix with a real shot to do so. But it was not Madison's fault that the Muchachos knowingly utilized overage marchers that season either. So the Muchachos have only themselves to blame for being DQ'ed. I do feel bad for the marchers of Muchachos that season however, as 99% of the Corps WAS eligible, and the eligible ones busted their tails all season long to be in a position to perhaps win it all. But it appears Corps Mgt let them down in the end, as reportedly, the Muchachos Mgt. knew they were marching overage marchers. For context, many of top eastern Corps were utilizing overage marchers in my experiences in the late 60's, early 70's... in some cases, as old as 26,27 years old. ( not sure about midwest, west, Corps but heard it was there as well ) Canadian Junior Corps for certain were also utilizing over 21 year olders. Some of the Canadian Junior Corps, afiliated with colleges, allowed students at their college to march in their Corps if they were students, and some of the students were over 21. The Canadian circuits permitted this. So when these Corps came south of the border, and joined up with DCI, if anybody believes that these Canadian Junior Corps did not have overage marchers marching in DCI, then I have swamp land to sell them in Florida as prime beachfront property. Muchachos got caught. Turned in by another DCI Corps.( I'm not criticising the Cavaliers for doing so here either.. this is all full square on the Muchachos Mgt for blame. ) Other Corps, including several in DCI, simply were not caught however. That needs to be said as well, imo.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, BRASSO said:

True. The Madison Scouts won fair and square in '75, and were deserving Champions. I loved that show from them that season.

Would the Muchachos have beaten Madison at Semi's, Finals. ? Who knows. other than they were right there in the mix with a real shot to do so. But it was not Madison's fault that the Muchachos knowingly utilized overage marchers that season either. So the Muchachos have only themselves to blame for being DQ'ed.

LOL... a few years back, there was a guy on FB who would rail against the Scouts winning that show.  He claimed they "completely fell apart" 15 seconds into their Finals performance... against all evidence to the contrary... and also kept insisting Muchachos had won prelims. Again, against all evidence to the contrary, that the corps' full prelims score was never released.

What a bat-#### crazy lunatic. :tongue:

Edited by Fran Haring

3 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

Oops.... hit "quote" instead of "edit."   LOL

Edited by Fran Haring

3 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

LOL... a few years back, there was a guy on FB who would rail against the Scouts winning that show.  He claimed they "completely fell apart" 15 seconds into their Finals performance... against all evidence to the contrary... and also kept insisting Muchachos had won prelims. Again, against all evidence to the contrary, that the corps' prelims score was never released.

What a bat-#### crazy lunatic. :tongue:

Yes, thats pretty ridiculous for anyone to say that, Fran.