Drum Corps = Politics

Two opposing sides and each side is better than the other. I actually get tired of both and social media is the cause.

Someone is always better, or has a better view, than the next person. Someone is more right than the other. What actually happens in politics that people hate people and I see it in this activity as well.

Whatever happened to,"just be nice?"

Oh, this was around long before social media. Often, the word "political" is inserted into the drum corps debate. I first heard it in June 1985 at my first live show. The chatter in the stands was that "because Finals are in Madison, DCI will make sure the Scouts win." Really, it was a rampant thought. Yes, they were better than their 3 previous years (all at #5) but in the end, not much. Some were saying that "Garfield WILL/WON'T win 3 in a row because of politics." Why did Madison finish a distant 4th in its own front yard? Politics?

When using "politics" in the pejorative sense, there has to be an outcome that benefits the one(s) in control. "Pure politics" in DCI accomplishes what and for whom? For the most part, the word is an all-compassing scapegoat.

• Like 1

Politics has been present in drum corps, yes more so when DCI came around, but social media was not the root of it. Social media has definitely expanded and let people voice their opinions on a bigger arena. 

34 minutes ago, sagemode67 said:

Politics has been present in drum corps, yes more so when DCI came around, but social media was not the root of it. Social media has definitely expanded and let people voice their opinions on a bigger arena. 

Politics were part of the activity long before DCI. Social media brings it to the forefront for some more than before the internet, but that does not mean that it is at a higher level.

Anytime the human element determines the outcome of an event, there will always be a disagreement.  I think what the OP maybe hitting at is the lack of civility that has developed across the spectrum. Face to face interaction tends to temper people's reactions while social media frees people's vitriol. The ones to respect are those who feel a personal responsibility to respect those who they disagree with. 

• Like 1

I've said this before....

When my corps wins, it's because the corps did a great show.

When my corps loses... it's politics.  :tongue:

• Like 4

Just now, tesmusic said:

Politics were part of the activity long before DCI. Social media brings it to the forefront for some more than before the internet, but that does not mean that it is at a higher level.

No I don't think it brings it to a higher level, but people can broadcast their opinions like never before though. People can complain on Facebook and other forums, saying things like "Crown didn't win because politics favored the Blue Devils!, or "Madison missed finals because politics favored Boston!'. We have heard things like this for a while, but we can hear them a lot more now because distance does not separate us.

2 hours ago, KeithHall said:

Two opposing sides and each side is better than the other. I actually get tired of both and social media is the cause.

Someone is always better, or has a better view, than the next person. Someone is more right than the other. What actually happens in politics that people hate people and I see it in this activity as well.

Whatever happened to,"just be nice?"

Years ago, " Gentlemen" politicians sometimes settled their political differences with a 'nice" gun duel. I'm sure you've heard of the Alexander Hamilton- Aaron Burr gun duel. Hamilton became US. President. But lost the gun duel to Burr. Died at age 42.  Politics has never been " nice " . Not since the dawn of Man, when one cavemen told others he could get them a better cave if they elected him as the Leader of the Pack.

Edited by BRASSO

20 minutes ago, sagemode67 said:

People can complain on Facebook and other forums, saying things like "Crown didn't win because politics favored the Blue Devils!, or "Madison missed finals because politics favored Boston!'. We have heard things like this for a while, but we can hear them a lot more now because distance does not separate us.

Over the years we've read where DCP posters make their potential thoughts on a certain corps results known just by which judge has been assigned to a caption.  A high percentage of those debates is about which guard judge likes/dislikes which corps.