A new way to experience Drum Corps

Ok, so I was thinking about this a little bit.  Honestly, I dont know if there is other people who already do this, but I think this is something I will try for the 2017 season.  Im going to forgo watching any 2017 drum corps shows before championships. Scores and show titles are ok to see, but any kind of lot videos or shows will not be.  Im not attending any drum corps shows this year, so I think this will be fun to try.  Im also looking at forgoing scores as well, and try to guess the placements at championships.  I dont know if I will do it, I just wanted to bounce it off you guys, and get your opinions.  Is this something that people try often?

Interesting idea, and of course much depends on individual preferences and goals.

If by "championships," you mean prelims through finals, that sounds like something I would enjoy hearing (or reading) you reflect about. If you mean your first viewing is finals night, then that, too, would be interesting. But for me, I'd much rather have multiple experiences with the shows. I learn a lot and - no surprise to drum corps fans - see and hear things from show to show that I don't get from just one viewing. (I processed just a tiny portion of the Cavaliers' 2016 show at Tour Premier. In San Antonio, I was ready to pay attention and grasp more of it.)

Still, your posting is focused on is this an interesting idea (not is this something we would do). And I say yes, your perspective from experiencing the season in this way would be an interesting one. Go for it.

And now that I think about it, there might a lot of posters on DCP with opinions based on just one show, such as finals night.

4 minutes ago, mjoakes said:

Interesting idea, and of course much depends on individual preferences and goals.

If by "championships," you mean prelims through finals, that sounds like something I would enjoy hearing (or reading) you reflect about. If you mean your first viewing is finals night, then that, too, would be interesting. But for me, I'd much rather have multiple experiences with the shows. I learn a lot and - no surprise to drum corps fans - see and hear things from show to show that I don't get from just one viewing. (I processed just a tiny portion of the Cavaliers' 2016 show at Tour Premier. In San Antonio, I was ready to pay attention and grasp more of it.)

Still, your posting is focused on is this an interesting idea (not is this something we would do). And I say yes, your perspective from experiencing the season in this way would be an interesting one. Go for it.

And now that I think about it, there might a lot of posters on DCP with opinions based on just one show, such as finals night.

If I do it, probably will be prelims through finals.  Im still looking at omitting scores.

15 minutes ago, BoaDci said:

Is this something that people try often?

Probably not.  If you go through with this idea, good luck with staying off DCP from mid May 'til around 11PM (ET) on finals night.

Too me, if one was to go through with this, nothing said or typed after you completed this research and had a different feel to who should have placed where is going to change the results.  Those DCI fans who follow the season in person or on-line still have different opinions of how they would have placed corps.  I see it as a waist of time and possibly a season of D&BC enjoyment lost.

Your viewing of only the final product (pun) might work for you in assessing design and designers.

I prefer seeing first and last efforts so as to appreciate the hard work and time the MMs have put toward making the designers and faculty look so good.

I can barely wait 'til June too see and hear what all the Corps are doing.. let alone wait' til August Championships. ( haha!)

• Like 3

I personally go to several shows throughout the summer, (starting with the first, ending with the last three) and even that is not enough to satisfy my appitite! 

Edited by Jurassic Lancer
  • Like 1