Southern University Marching Band

Just listened to the Southern University Marching Band, and musically I think the college bands have a better sound then drum corps.   With all the changes in the drum corps rules, like allowing xylophones, amplification, and who knows what.  Why don't they just allow college bands to compete.  Maybe, they don't have the marching down as good, but they could. 

Edited by Grenadier
grammer

Wow. 

Yeah drum corps died with the xylophone, you know over 40 years ago.

• Like 3

I find it incredibly troubling that Southern University is the one you use in this argument. Not Western Carolina or a school like that. I discovered Western Carolina's band not too long ago in part of my realization that not all college bands are as lackluster as I initially thought. And I actually view them as a new addition to drum corps type stuff. Especially that 2012 show with the absolutely incredible opening 1812 hit. 

26 minutes ago, brassdude6171 said:

I find it incredibly troubling that Southern University is the one you use in this argument. Not Western Carolina or a school like that. I discovered Western Carolina's band not too long ago in part of my realization that not all college bands are as lackluster as I initially thought. And I actually view them as a new addition to drum corps type stuff. Especially that 2012 show with the absolutely incredible opening 1812 hit. 

Don't feed the troll. Drum corps died in 1971 to him.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Grenadier said:

Just listened to the Southern University Marching Band, and musically I think the college bands have a better sound then drum corps.   With all the changes in the drum corps rules, like allowing xylophones, amplification, and who knows what.  Why don't they just allow college bands to compete.  Maybe, they don't have the marching down as good, but they could. 

I may have some of the specifics and details wrong, and I am sure someone will correct me, but here are a few points IMO (very quick thoughts) to consider why band and drums corps don't complete together/against one another in DCI and IMO shouldn't:

Many MM's in drum corps are also from bands.  It could become a numbers thing where the DC size or band size would be impacted.

DC's have age requirements that bands would have to abide by if they were to compete in the DC competitive world  (this is somewhat minor)

DC's have maximum numbers of performers in a unit.  Bands do not, but they would have to and that may change what they sound like or what they can do for a show.

It costs a considerable amount of money (audition fees, tour fees, etc., etc.) for an MM in DC.  The funding is quite different in DC.

DC rehearsals throughout the off season and on tour I would believe, are much more intense than a band.  But Maybe I am off base with this one.

DC tours and performances are done in such a condensed time frame which I would hazard to guess, bands don't have as rigorous a schedule.

School year and DC season.

Believing the SOUND of band to DC is what creates similarities, or makes band better, as you infer, is being somewhat naïve.  Then to extrapolate that by improving bands marching ability or quality would balance the two disciplines out, is also not considering all it takes for a DC to complete at the top level of DCI.  It's like saying  Formula 1 and Indy type race cars should race in the Daytona 500 with stock cars because, well they are all cars and go fast and have wheels.  The point is race cars are designed to perform a certain way in their particular area, appealing to their particular audience. Although the cars (like band and DC) have many similarities,  the designed performance levels are quite different.  There may well be audience crossover for racing and that's OK.  Just as IMO, it is OK to have band and drum corps and let each be its own thing but share the audience.  It's OK to not homogenize everything.  DC can continue to get better and evolve and still be DC.  It doesn't have to become band and band doesn't have to become DC.  Kids that march both I would guess enjoy each on its own merit and may not want them to be the same or compete with each other.

All that being said, what might be interesting, and a way to grow DC, is to have a show with DC's and bands in it, each in their category competing within their category.  That could bring the audiences together.  Not sure how it be pulled off logistically.  OK rant over.  Thanks for indulging me.

4 hours ago, Grenadier said:

simplest answer (there are many more)

because the band is not there over the summer?

Marching: verb "To move with a rhythmic step in unison with others"

Band: noun 1"A group of people gathered together"; 2"A group of musicians gathered for ensemble playing".

Drum: noun "A percussion Instrument consisting of a hollow cylinder with membrane tightly stretched over the opening which is stuck by hands or sticks".

Corps: noun "A groups of people gathered together for a single purpose" (notice it is a synonym of Band)

Is the Southern University organization mentioned herein a group of musicians, some playing drums, within an ensemble while moving with a rhythmic step in unison with others?  Yes.  So, by definition, they are a Marching Band (ie Corps) that contains drums along with brass, other percussion, and woodwinds, but no electronics.

Does each unit in DCI contain a group of musicians, some playing drums, within an ensemble while moving with a rhythmic step in unison with others?   Yes.  So, by definition, each unit is a Marching Corps (ie Band) that contains drums along with brass, other percussion, electronics, but as of now no woodwinds.

Are they in two different sub-categories? yes.  But they both are, by definition, sub-categories within the parameters of what defines a Marching (Band/Corps)?  OMG!  Why this reality blows some people's skirt up and gets their undies in a wad is rather ridiculous.  And for the record: the only true 'Drum Corps' would be a group of musicians playing just drums with a single purpose.

Edited by Stu

I think ALL drum corps and college bands are created equal.  Personally, I think the Ohio State band  is the best.  They have the most amazing drill complexity in all of OSU.  I think if OSU went up against felliniesque, OSU would win.  Seriously, who needs color guards?  I also think that, because the audience always knows Ohio State's music, they get higher ge scores.  That is all that matters anyway, fan favorite shows should always win.

6 hours ago, BoaDci said:

I think ALL drum corps and college bands are created equal.  Personally, I think the Ohio State band  is the best.  They have the most amazing drill complexity in all of OSU.  I think if OSU went up against felliniesque, OSU would win.  Seriously, who needs color guards?  I also think that, because the audience always knows Ohio State's music, they get higher ge scores.  That is all that matters anyway, fan favorite shows should always win.

Wow!  There's tons of stuff to argue with in this post.

I love Southern's band. I love drum corps. They're related to each other, but not the same.  So what.