Electronics

No intention of starting an electronics debate!  I am still trying to catch up from the early 90's and just wondering when did electronics (amplification) first make its debut in DCI?

Thanks DrumMan. Do you remember who the first to field it was?

I think everyone went for it right away, I wasn't around in 2004 when Amplification was introduced but it definitely wasn't just one.  And in 2009 most ran with the electronics as well (though it took awhile before corps did it right).  Though Boston Crusaders 1985 get the nod for first use of something electronic.  

:)

• Like 1

There were lots of corps making use of the new rules in both seasons.

I wasn't following the activity closely in 2004 (didn't see any shows that year until the first-ever cinema-cast of Quarterfinals), but there is an often-repeated story that Jeff Fiedler, who was then director of the Cavaliers, one of the corps who had voted against amplification, has said before the season that they wouldn't make use of it. Then partway through the season, they changed their minds, and Fiedler said it was because not doing so was like "having one hand tied behind our back".

Someone who was here then, please correct me if I'm reporting incorrectly.

I believe that when that remark was queried on these boards, that Fiedler himself posted here to explain what he meant. Apparently it was not what you might take as the obvious meaning: that the judges had been punishing Cavs' scores for not amplifying their pit. But I've never seen Fiedler's post or any explanation of what his actual meaning was.

7 minutes ago, DrumManTx said:

Though Boston Crusaders 1985 get the nod for first use of something electronic.  :)

The get the nod and they got the penalty.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

I wasn't following the activity closely in 2004 (didn't see any shows that year until the first-ever cinema-cast of Quarterfinals), but there is an often-repeated story that Jeff Fiedler, who was then director of the Cavaliers, one of the corps who had voted against amplification, has said before the season that they wouldn't make use of it. Then partway through the season, they changed their minds, and Fiedler said it was because not doing so was like "having one hand tied behind our back".

Someone who was here then, please correct me if I'm reporting incorrectly.

I believe that when that remark was queried on these boards, that Fiedler himself posted here to explain what he meant. Apparently it was not what you might take as the obvious meaning: that the judges had been punishing Cavs' scores for not amplifying their pit. But I've never seen Fiedler's post or any explanation of what his actual meaning was.

Hey how's it going… I'll give you a better story than that one.   One of the corps that was staunchly against amplification and electronics was the bluecoats. They even sold a T-shirt that was anti-amps and  anti-electronics at their souvenir table I know because I have one of them ...

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Triple Forte said:

Hey how's it going… I'll give you a better story than that one.   One of the corps that was staunchly against amplification and electronics was the bluecoats. They even sold a T-shirt that was anti-amps and  anti-electronics at their souvenir table I know because I have one of them ...

That is the most beautiful story Ive ever heard.  Please post a picture.