Re-hashes

With only about 4 months left until the majority of corps are in full swing at spring training and only 2 World Class programs being announced, the time is nearing to hear from the rest. (hopefully)

While we wait I figured I'd make a topic where we could talk about programs as well as pieces that have been performed more than once (ex: SCV- Scheherazade '04/'14, Scouts- Ballet in Brass '73/'74/'84/'85/'01), re-hashes you thought were better than the original, and (the possibly unpopular) re-hashes you would want to see in the future.

5 minutes ago, shmeg212 said:

With only about 4 months left until the majority of corps are in full swing at spring training and only 2 World Class programs being announced, the time is nearing to hear from the rest. (hopefully)

While we wait I figured I'd make a topic where we could talk about programs as well as pieces that have been performed more than once (ex: SCV- Scheherazade '04/'14, Scouts- Ballet in Brass '73/'74/'84/'85/'01), re-hashes you thought were better than the original, and (the possibly unpopular) re-hashes you would want to see in the future.

Phantom did spartacus a few times before they did spartacus.

18 minutes ago, DrumManTx said:

99% of the time I either hate rehashes (Phantom Regiment in recent years) or they just don't QUITE have the magic of the original (SCV 2014).  

I don't want to see rehashes.  I want corps to get creative and use new music.  

Really!  You didnt like SCV 2014 as much as the original.  I loved it.

It's a great show.  I love parts of it, but it just doesn't have the pure magic of the original for me.  Drill has some really great moments and then parts that I don't think were nearly as great as they could have been (because I know Pete Weber is fantastic).  Music REALLY shines in parts, and other times it feels a bit rushed.  The closer especially for me before the quiet ending just feels like a way too fast montage of color and sound.  My main issue is I do not like the overall visual aesthetic...at all.  I hate the white corps proper uniforms and how they look with the color guard palette from up high.  When you throw in the backdrops...not for me.  

That's all of course personal taste.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, DrumManTx said:

It's a great show.  I love parts of it, but it just doesn't have the pure magic of the original for me.  Drill has some really great moments and then parts that I don't think were nearly as great as they could have been (because I know Pete Weber is fantastic).  Music REALLY shines in parts, and other times it feels a bit rushed.  The closer especially for me before the quiet ending just feels like a way too fast montage of color and sound.  My main issue is I do not like the overall visual aesthetic...at all.  I hate the white corps proper uniforms and how they look with the color guard palette from up high.  When you throw in the backdrops...not for me.  

That's all of course personal taste.  

Yeah, I see where youre coming from.  

I wouldn't mind seeing the Cavaliers take on Gloria again.

Maybe we could see modern day BD put When a Man Loves a Woman back into a show. I know it doesn't fit their style of the last 15 years(ish), but I would like to see it.

Crossmen doing Birdland in a show, I'd pay to see that.

Santa Clara could do Phantom and I wouldn't be mad.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, BoaDci said:

Phantom did spartacus a few times before they did spartacus.

I've never seen or heard the original versions of Spartacus, but I DEFINITELY loved their 2008 version.

43 minutes ago, 2000Cadet said:

I've never seen or heard the original versions of Spartacus, but I DEFINITELY loved their 2008 version.

It was completely different. The original Spartacus themes were wonderful, but the 2008 was not a re-hash other than title, and spectacular on its own.

• Like 2