Genesis 2017

40 minutes ago, jjeffeory said:

I'm curious what Corpsband thinkings about this show.  Corpsband, any comments on the show theme and musical selections?

Personally, I think the show concept is cool, and there's certainly rock & pop music in there.

They certainly know how to pick great music! Dallas Bayless a solid arranger so could be hot!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jjeffeory said:

I'm curious what Corpsband is thinking about this show.  Corpsband, any comments on the show theme and musical selections?

Personally, I think the show concept is cool, and there's certainly rock & pop music in there.

interesting mix and i can see a lot of directions to go with that material.  will be fun to see where they take it.  anyone doing imogen heap is an automatic win for me (and i dont think any corps has done hide and seek justice yet).  

now -- mentioning me specifically -- because??   pure imagination?  

Edited by corpsband

24 minutes ago, corpsband said:

interesting mix and i can see a lot of directions to go with that material.  will be fun to see where they take it.  anyone doing imogen heap is an automatic win for me (and i dont think any corps has done hide and seek justice yet).  

now -- mentioning me specifically -- because??   pure imagination?  

Partly because of Pure Imagination, because it's a "re-tread", and I wanted to see if you had a different standard for them than a higher placing corps,

but MOSTLY because I wanted to hear your opinion as we often agree on ideas.

11 minutes ago, jjeffeory said:

Partly because of Pure Imagination, because it's a "re-tread", and I wanted to see if you had a different standard for them than a higher placing corps,

but MOSTLY because I wanted to hear your opinion as we often agree on ideas.

remember the context --- we were talking about SCV moving into contention for a medal.  i'm ok with retreads on a scale which increases as you descend the ranks.  nothing wrong with doing a proven chart in some circumstances. also -- i was talking more about concept than specific pieces of music.  anyway back to Genesis: 

i like the diversity in source material.  pure imagination may be more of a concept and threaded throughout the show with maybe just those 3 notes constantly reappearing in transitions.  both sides now can be gorgeous.  and genesis?  heck yeah.  

Edited by corpsband
  • Like 1

As I'm going through the source music for the 2017 program again just for good measures, does anyone know of some info out there about what the show is about, not just the title, that I don't know about?

7 hours ago, brassdude6171 said:

As I'm going through the source music for the 2017 program again just for good measures, does anyone know of some info out there about what the show is about, not just the title, that I don't know about?

Back up on the second page of this thread I posted a link to an interview their director did.  In that interview he discussed the storyline, comes from a children's book about being bored in school I think.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DrumManTx said:

Listening through some corps reps for 2017, I'm so excited about Both Sides Now, such a fantastic song I think will translate very effectively to the field.  

It's a good testament to the source music and how Joni Mitchel's seemingly simple song consisting solely of voice and guitar can translate to the drum corps medium. I enjoyed Crossmen's version and anxiously await hearing how Genesis handles it. Of course, it doesn't hurt that I'm a big Joni fan. 

• 4 weeks later...