Genesis 2017

3 minutes ago, DrumManTx said:

Okay Genesis...if Master of Puppets is any bit as awesome as this all brass arrangement I found I'm gonna be screaming for them so hard......

i have to admit i rolled my eyes when i read this but i clicked play anyway -- not sure it's awesome but it's way better than i expected.  still - i can still see judges turning up their noses.

Just now, corpsband said:

i have to admit i rolled my eyes when i read this but i clicked play anyway -- not sure it's awesome but it's way better than i expected.  still - i can still see judges turning up their noses.

I love it......haha.  I'm not the biggest Metallica fan but I find it incredibly fun.  

• Like 2

10 hours ago, DrumManTx said:

I'm sure they've accepted that challenge.  

:)

Its all in the presentation. Corps have successfully played everything before the judges from " Jingle Bells " to music from  Mick Jaggar, Izzy Pop, Jethro Tull, Justin Bieber, et al.. and everything else under the sun that we can imagine. So I'm sure the judges can handle a little Metallica, and score it well if done appropriately in the coordination with the Theme/ Guard/ Visuals. I think Genesis has a real chance to move up the placement ranks over the next several years, now that they have attained World Class Div. status in DCI. Lots of talent there in the Lone Star State to keep home now, and march a World Class Div. Corps ( and similar with the Crossmen's resurgennce since moving from Pa.)

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, DrumManTx said:

Okay Genesis...if Master of Puppets is any bit as awesome as this all brass arrangement I found I'm gonna be screaming for them so hard......

Right there with you, DMTx. This is nothing short of awesome. If Genesis' arrangement and usage is even in the same ballpark, it would make me VERY excited to see their show this season -- just gotta figure out where.

20 hours ago, DrumManTx said:

I, as usual, will reserve my final opinion until I see the product on the field but, my first impression of this chart is that I'll sit with my chin in my hands, working desperately to give the arranger the benefit of the doubt and stretch myself beyond my own limitations to accept what the music is telling me until the final cutoff...

...only to turn to the person sitting next to me, put my hands up in the air, and say "WTH did I just listen to?".

But I'll surely be anticipating being surprised!

20 hours ago, corpsband said:

probably the right word and thus why it will be a hard sell. 

Amen.  The judges will be tapping their feet and searching for the pulse like many in the stands, and when the cutoff comes and only golf-claps are heard, noses will turn up.

Wow.....really?  Something is too fun for the field?  Jeez, no wonder there are certain stigmas about DCP.  :lle:

I guess hearing Bernstein, Copland, Stravinsky, or some other beat to death composer on the field for the ten billionth time is okay but heaven forbid we hear a little Metallica and it's "too fun" for audiences.  And if anyone has a hard time finding the pulse in that video, yikes.  Might wanna get theirs checked.  

Kudos for Genesis for straying away from the cliches and giving us some music with a little  more variety and life.  And I think we're getting a little bit ahead of ourselves, IMO a corps can have any theme or selection of music it just comes down to the presentation of what they're using.  I can think of a few corps in recent years that looked really ridiculous and like it couldn't work on paper and they turned out.....well one of them has a championship.  Let's see how they present it. 

I have a feeling like the last few years Genesis will be just fine in terms of audience engagement.  I think I, and many others, will really enjoy what they have to offer and there won't be any golf claps for them.  

Edited by DrumManTx
  • Like 4