ALLENTOWN 2017 PARKING

Just looking for info from anyone in the know.  Last summer was actually my 30th Allentown trek.  However, it was the first time that I had seen the wide road which runs parallel to the duck ponds blocked off from traffic and parking.   Only corps vehicles were parked there last summer, and I noticed that they were spread out due to the abundance of extra space.  Does anyone have any idea why the city decided to do this after all these years?  And, are they likely to do it again?

I can remember a time when spectators were actually allowed to park on all the grassy areas.  That was done away with about 20 years ago due to the obvious concern for the condition of the grass and it was understandable..  The same cannot be said for the road, however.  Also, it seems to me as though the recent Allentown crowds have been getting bigger and bigger as of late, which is obviously a good development.  Now would not seem the time to restrict parking, imo

I usually park near Yocco's.  There are quite a few parking lots behind the businesses. I think it costs about $5, maybe $10. You can also get on side roads when leaving, which helps avoid traffic. 

29 minutes ago, craiga said:

Just looking for info from anyone in the know.  Last summer was actually my 30th Allentown trek.  However, it was the first time that I had seen the wide road which runs parallel to the duck ponds blocked off from traffic and parking.   Only corps vehicles were parked there last summer, and I noticed that they were spread out due to the abundance of extra space.  Does anyone have any idea why the city decided to do this after all these years?  And, are they likely to do it again?

I can remember a time when spectators were actually allowed to park on all the grassy areas.  That was done away with about 20 years ago due to the obvious concern for the condition of the grass and it was understandable..  The same cannot be said for the road, however.  Also, it seems to me as though the recent Allentown crowds have been getting bigger and bigger as of late, which is obviously a good development.  Now would not seem the time to restrict parking, imo

New athletic fields for city and colleges have been added to the park and some had activities there last year during the contests; yes colleges have summer programs and training. Even locker rooms and showers at stadium were restricted last summer until after football teams had their afternoon work out.

Crossmen also had their annual alumni gathering there which was a little larger than recent past years.

I concur with TimK, other near options exist. However a new shopping center has been built where the old granite works used to be diagonally across from the HamFam, again with new owners. As Allentown continues to re-gentrify, don't presume parking but verify as Craiga is wisely doing.  Things do change.

56 minutes ago, xandandl said:

New athletic fields for city and colleges have been added to the park and some had activities there last year during the contests; yes colleges have summer programs and training. Even locker rooms and showers at stadium were restricted last summer until after football teams had their afternoon work out.

Crossmen also had their annual alumni gathering there which was a little larger than recent past years.

I concur with TimK, other near options exist. However a new shopping center has been built where the old granite works used to be diagonally across from the HamFam, again with new owners. As Allentown continues to re-gentrify, don't presume parking but verify as Craiga is wisely doing.  Things do change.

I am not totally sure, but doesn't craiga have an RV?  Some of the parking options mentioned may not accommodate an RV.  Do you have an RV craiga?  Closeness to the stadium would be best for an RV'r so they don't have to schlepp the RV from other more remote areas.

2 hours ago, craiga said:

I guess parking would be different for an RV...I have been going for years as well...missed last year though as I went to other shows...I will be going to Saturday show for certain and undetermined about Friday...

In recent years I've always parked on the high side of the hill...on a parking lot on the left side off of 22nd street and Chewse...also at the cemetery...Chewe and 21st west works...it really depends what time you get there to stadium as to choices IMO...22nd and Chewse is fine for Stadium walk in for upper seats...and I guess you can also walk down to the park from there as well...I've done that as well...the only stadium non-entry is where the corps come into the stadium...a few years ago I was told the crusaders had something set-up across from the stadium and honestly I walked the whole area and could not find it...It was so disappointing....anyway I think the upper options are better than the lower street ones...but I've also parked in a lot across from  the Hamilton dinner as well in years past...

Yes, I probably should have noted that I do have an RV.  Actually, the main reason why I have one is to facilitate tailgating at drum corps shows. In the past, I would arrive early at the show, park along the grass and break out the grill, chairs etc.  It was great having old friends stop by and visit prior to the show.  While the rv can be parked on a regular side street, I'm not going to set up a grill, etc in someone's front yard obviously.

The Crossmen Alum folks are there down by the tennis courts on the night Bones performs, but they'll be the first ones to tell you that they don't have any room there anymore either.  And, I also had a hard time finding a place to park at Indy in 2015.  It may be the wave of the future that I will have to adjust to, but some of my best experiences have been taking the rv to shows with friends and the good times before and after.   No issues at Quincy, Lynn, Gillette or Metlife.  (Although BC  was a problem 2 years ago).