Heard there was a rumor in dispute and you needed proof

5 minutes ago, mingusmonk said:

Conveniently, no. 

Their phone must have died before they could screenshot the contract.

Then we really don’t know so how can we say ‘specific terms’ or even assume the terms of moving to another corps were spelled out, it could be a catch all clause ‘as deemed by organization’ that’s being invoked and interpreted in a way to demand repayment.

Not posting the contract doesn’t bother as much as the contradictory statements allegedly coming from the same source at Crown. Shady. Any other Crown members at different corps besides BAC having such an issue?  Has this occurred with Crown in the past?

We still don’t know but it’s not adding up

WE DEMAND TO SEE THE CONTRACT !!!!

4 minutes ago, MikeN said:

My apologies - I can't see images from work.  My daughter is just dipping her toes in DCI participation this year.  I had no idea some corps did this.  Just to clarify, it's just for scholarships?  How long is the non-compete clause for?  Now I'm curious if I'm going to be faced with having to turn down financial assistance for what is already a horribly expensive activity to preserve her future options.

Mike

There is no copy of the contract in question. You will need to be looking at this on a corps-by-corps basis, as Crown is not the only one that has such attachments to their assistance. I am sure the terminology and contracts vary. Sounds like you're on the right track and I'm sure you'll do right by your aspiring daughter. Good luck to her. :thumbs-up:

8 minutes ago, year1buick said:

My work contract states that if I leave early I owe back any earned bonus money. This isn't something new or unheard of. If their contract specified something similar, then I don't really understand what all the fuss is about.

You don't pay to participate in your job. :huh:

59 minutes ago, BoaDci said:

Are scholarships there to "encourage" members to stay, or are they there to "ensure" members stay?

A corps like Crown has its choice of top-level talent. I don't know how talented the member was/is, but I'm going to have to guess "exceptionally" if they offered a discounted rate (the scholarship). If Crown can get other talented people to fill the spot, but instead chose to go with this member and help them better afford it, Crown needs to get something in return. Thus, a retention tactic.

3 hours ago, Liahona said:

Good point...I've watched on here for a very very very long time people tell BRASSO who has advocated for transfer rules that this is not how things work around here...Well as long as things always trickle up there is not a problem...but when they trickle down the entire universe all of a sudden gets pulled into a black hole....LOL

To my knowledge, the Boston Crusaders never went after former marchers and their parents that transferred to a G7  Corps as agressively as this. Notice how Carolina Crown agreement is spelling out that there are financial penalties to march another DCI Corps. Remember all the DCP'ers on here the last 3 years that told me that there should be no financial or movement restrictrions for marchers to go from one corps to another. Guress what ? Reading this agreement, its apparent that Carolina Crown does not share their sentiment.

I was the only person on DCP the last few years.. out in the wilderness alone on this... stating the highly "unpopular opinion " that DCI needed to develop a standard DCI policy, agreed to by the Corps collectively, on a sensible, reasonable " transfer policy " of marchers between Corps. Such a policy would have eliminated the confusion on the part of these parents getting stuck with a bill from last year that they did not believe they owed, as well as allowed Carolina Crown operate in a fashion that was not so publically embarrassing to them as this  " transfer " fee  inclusion is to march another Corps.

Well, we all still don't want a DCI transfer policy, right ? Well, these episodes will continue.  But maybe in time, 1 or 2 others on here might just come around to the sentiment that.... " by gawd, this old cranky BRASSO fella, just might be more progressive in his thinkin', than we thought , and maybe it is time to think about having a DCI standard policy on marcher transfers between Corps ". Then again, maybe I'm just being too optimistic here  on the quest for the establishment of a DCI Best Practices, " Transfer Rule ".  I might still be alone on this issue. But that just makes me a maverick on the issue. But even " Mavericks " sometimes are blazing the right trail.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, ouooga said:

A corps like Crown has its choice of top-level talent. I don't know how talented the member was/is, but I'm going to have to guess "exceptionally" if they offered a discounted rate (the scholarship). If Crown can get other talented people to fill the spot, but instead chose to go with this member and help them better afford it, Crown needs to get something in return. Thus, a retention tactic.

Yep, I figured.  I just really want to see the contract.  Has anyone besides Tes contacted Crown or Bac for comment?

11 minutes ago, Liahona said:

You don't pay to participate in your job. :huh:

That's not my point. A contract is a contract. And, besides, this member DID recieve financial benefit in the the form of a scholarship. If they didn't want to have to pay it back, then they shouldn't have signed the contract, accepted the scholarship or moved to a different corps. 

Edited by year1buick
  • Like 1

Just now, craiga said:

Maybe if Crown is that strapped for cash they should ask Boston for a loan.

This attitude certainly goes towards supporting the argument that this vitriol is fanned by BAC contingent that have an axe to grind. They seem to be more concerned about making this BAC v CC as opposed to "Is it OK for any corps to tie up member commitments via discounts, awards and scholarships? (especially if supported by contracts)?" Which is certainly worth discussing.

Some people here are more interested in simply torching Crown and painting them as the evil enemy. Not exactly constructive.

• Like 4