Heard there was a rumor in dispute and you needed proof

10 minutes ago, Lead said:

One of the reddit posters says that he left Madison to go to Crown - in a similar position of having received a scholarship - and had to pay the money back to Madison.

Sounds like it is pretty common.

This did in fact happen, but his mommy and daddy didn't go to Crown camp #####ing about Madison, because the member read and KNEW the details of the scholarship.

• Like 1

Well since I see the can of polish has brought my name up a couple times in this thread, I'll jump in.

1.  I never heard of the word "scholarship" being used and stand by my statements (which was simply that Crown doesn't advertise any at all.) The word implies "cash gift".  I think in practice it's more like debt forgiveness.  I doubt it has anything to do with cash redirected to a member but simply a fee reduction.

2. As many have pointed out,  there's a contract.  I've seen Crown's member contracts.  They don't have "fine print" and use plain simple language.  I'm assuming that the "scholarship" contract is similar.   Not only that -- the member seems to have a balance in addition to "scholarship".  Oops -- so they're not eligible anyway.  

3. What good comes out of this?   How does this benefit anyone?   Clearly someone passed this info along and asked posters to put it up on DCP.   It seems to me it's just an excuse to drag a corps name through the mud.  It's just sad --pathetic even -- that some feel that's a worthwhile endeavor.    

4. Just how many guard kids are in this spot?  Surely the case of just one member would not have raised so many pitchforks.  It's an interesting question isn't it.   How do instructors play into this whole thing?  

5. Look at how the Reddit crowd (mostly marching members).  "Sucks to be them but they should have read the contract".  "I had to do that too".  Funny (and encouraging) to see MM's acting like adults (in clear opposition to what we see here).   

Anyway back to the popcorn to watch the witch hunt continue. (And if THAT'S not ironic I don't know what is).

Edited by corpsband

30 minutes ago, tesmusic said:

This did in fact happen, but his mommy and daddy didn't go to Crown camp #####ing about Madison, because the member read and KNEW the details of the scholarship.

Not sure where the mommy daddy thing came from within this thread but I am fairly sure the initial intent to bring up the issue was not borne from a mommy or daddy ######ing about any org in particular.  There is a lot of information we DON'T KNOW in all this discussion.  You don't KNOW if the member knew what was being signed, you don't know if the member him/herself signed a contract or a scholarship acceptance.  Let's lighten up on the certainties that we really are not certain about.

• Like 1

Just now, LabMaster said:

Not sure where the mommy daddy thing came from within this thread but I am fairly sure the initial intent to bring up the issue was not borne from a mommy or daddy ######ing about any org in particular.  There is a lot of information we DON'T KNOW in all this discussion.  You don't KNOW if the member knew what was being signed, you don't know if the member him/herself signed a contract or a scholarship acceptance.  Let's lighten up on the certainties that we really are not certain about.

If you were around the deleted thread, and another corps-specific thread (with content now-deleted) yesterday, you would have seen references to this coming from parents.

If the revoking of scholarship monies is in the Crown contract, I see no problem with Crown attempting to get that money back. To be clear...I think this policy is a bad look for Crown or any other corps that attempts to get back "scholarship" funds. 

Maybe for 2017 Crown should add to the contract that the estimated cost to feed, transport, educate, and house a Crown member is $3,000 above the member dues and if a member chooses to March elsewhere in 2018 they will be asked to pay that money retroactively to Crown. If it's in the contract the kid has to pay...correct.

This just makes me wish Pioneer would have had a stipulation like this....they could be rolling in dough.

Z

13 minutes ago, mingusmonk said:

If you were around the deleted thread, and another corps-specific thread (with content now-deleted) yesterday, you would have seen references to this coming from parents.

Additionally there were questions about "why is this so late".  Clearly this was all triggered by an email from Boston.  The irony gets thicker.  

• Like 1

This thread is unbelievable and it is actually only a few that are driving it.  Time for a break and for people to get some FACTS.  Too may assumptions.  Some good points however are coming from the discussion.

One thing that struck me was when someone mentioned a scholarship being a gift.  It raises the possibility that if someone (alumni or supporter) of an organization were to provide financial assistance via a "scholarship", and were to then write it off as a tax deductable donation, then the org tries to retrieve payment/reimbursement: is there now an IRS issue?  Also if the scholarship were offered directly from a supporter, could the org demand it back, since it did not come directly from the org coffers but a private source who donated to the MM directly? 

The point I am trying to make, is that this thread is generating more questions than answers.  The entire subject can be cleared up with seeing a copy of the contract and the scholarship agreement.  Are they one in the same?  Are they two separate documents with individual language written in each?  Are they tied together at all?   More questions, still no clarity.  Try looking at this by taking out the two orgs that have been the subject of the discussion and simply look at them as org A and org B.  Eliminate the emotion that is clouding logical thought of the subject matter. 

No one is questioning at all, that money owed to an org, for membership and associated fees must be paid before being allowed to march in a competing org.  I believe in compliance with DCI rules, that question was asked by one org to the other.  The issue is with a scholarship (re)payment.  Is there a precedent that an org, that has not previously pursued repayment of a scholarship can then decide to do so. Is it moral, ethical, legal?  Can a scholarship "fee" be retrieved/requested/demanded AFTER the MM has marched the season and provided the service/function the scholarship or contract required for the season just completed? 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, mingusmonk said:

Got it.  Thanks.  It got deleted before I got back to it.

7 hours ago, garfield said:

I hope you someday get to read an insurance contract, or an annual report, or a mortgage deed, or Atlas Shrugged.

No one should wish that one another human being.

• Like 1