Heard there was a rumor in dispute and you needed proof

Good gosh,  I keep peeking into this thread today and I still see dumb comments from DCPer's, who seem to have abandoned all logic.  I implore you all who are trying very hard to make this a BAC vs Crown thing to knock it off.  It isn't that;  no matter how hard you try to make it look like that.  What it IS, is an issue about the validity of language and a financial demand stemming from a "scholarship".   Which in and of itself should be fairly clear cut, but apparently this particular one MAY or MAY NOT have a stipulation requiring a long term commitment.  THAT has several other ramifications.  What for certain is NOT KNOWN, are the details of the contract the MM signed and the scholarship offered.  What is NOT known is the language and if there is anything binding the two documents to one another.  So all the BS being spewed forth by DCPer's saying the BAC should shut up and pay the fees owed need to understand; NO ONE, not one person on this thread had provided any conclusive evidence of a contract or scholarship.  No copy of a document to show if there is a custom contract or a DCI standard contract.  No one has provide even language of a contract or scholarship, to prove what the MM commitment was or if money is actually owed.  DCPer's being adamant there is money owed need to PROVE their contention.  They haven't yet and can't but they can keep itching for an argument as they have been throughout this entire thread.  Ridiculous statements like "these kids need to read their contracts and know and fulfill their commitments and pay up".  Grab hold of reality and review a contract with a kid and you'll realize they are kids.  easy for us adults to lay the blame on a kid who supposedly didn't read a contract.  Has anyone here ever signed a contract to discover there was a clause that didn't favor you in any way? 

This IS a bigger issue that begs clarity.  First how does a scholarship for a youth activity is demand payment scholarships when someone moves to another organization.  Were SERVICES RENDERED for the past competitive year that the MM did in fact fulfill?  If it were my kid and a corps tried to demand payment for a scholarship, I'll see you in court and I'll sue your butt off.  If the corps demanded payment for fees owed per the contract, I'll send you a check.  No question those fees are owed. And I don't think anyone has been contesting that;  so again get your information right.  For the record and if I read this correctly, the Executive Director of BAC called CC and asked if the MM in question owed any fees to CC.  He was told there was a revoked scholarship money was owed.  That is part of the story that has been downplayed in this firestorm and is an integral part of the question about scholarships. 

So unless you know specific details, stop spewing all you "know" about what occurred/transpired, because you like me and everyone else on this thread, KNOWS NOTHING FOR CERTAIN about the contract and scholarship and who owes who what.

Thanks for indulging me and now back to my beer.  Hope you all are having one as well.  If so, heres to you.

• Like 6

Where is the contract?

Many here have seen stipulations where the marching member receiving financial assistance must march at the same organization the following year, or pay back their "scholarship."

I've seen the opposite, where a credit was simply applied to the marching members balance. No contract was drafted or signed for those examples of financial assistance. 

Edited by subcritical

1 hour ago, corpsband said:

I knew we'd get back there...

G-7!

"As an online DCP discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Hitler G7 approaches 1." Godwin's Law, DCP style.

• Like 1

" Take the Money and Run " ... Steve Miller Band

1 hour ago, George Dixon said:

at this point I'm not sure what is the point of this discussion

yes - trades/swaps happen; folks are released or not released; things are forgiven or not forgiven

yes - partially scholarships are awarded with strings attached

yes - DCI corps have agreements as a member that members must pay debts before transfers

beyond that the debate is just going in circles...

SPIN

• Like 1

No Money ?

4 hours ago, Bruckner8 said:

One more thing: there's no such thing as "forgiving dues." Yeah, it might look like that to the member, and a corps may have even used those words. But in the books, that member's cost to the organization is covered, somehow, through scholarship, anon donor, BOD kitty, etc. If a member doesn't pay, it would be written off as bad debt. Thus any "due forgiveness" would have to be dealt with the same way. I don't think that's legal. (You can't really project a bad debt like that. Imagine if they did that for the entire corps...not possible. However, it IS possible to find real scholarship money for every member. )

Good point. Presumably at the close of a corps' fiscal year, its leadership decides how much of the outstanding money still due from members should go on the books as a receivable--because they foresee a reasonable chance of getting paid--and how much they simply don't book. No point in setting yourself up to write off bad debt later.

4 hours ago, BRASSO said:

For three years, I have been on a "DCI needs a standard transfer policy" quest, bringing up the topic whenever possible to the point I'm certain it was an annoyance.

Self-awareness is a good first step.

• Like 3