Heard there was a rumor in dispute and you needed proof

Crown is revoking scholarships from previous years. 

But I saw on the deleted thread, they are denying this. I wonder if this means those kids don't have to pay back the revoked scholarship now? 

Edited by JohnD
Link to personal correspondence removed. Used without author's permission.

20 hours ago, HOLYHOMe said:

Crown is revoking scholarships from previous years. 

But I saw on the deleted thread, they are denying this. I wonder if this means those kids don't have to pay back the revoked scholarship now? 

No, Crown is not "revoking" scholarships from previous years.  According to one unauthenticated photo of an email, we are led to believe that they are enforcing the terms of a contract signed by a marching member in 2016.

Does anyone know what the terms of that contract are?  And, if so, what business is this of ours?

Pitchforks again?

Edited by JohnD
  • Like 2

People demanded proof.  There it is.  Of course members are liable for past balances due...but to ask for scholarships back and be "added to your balance??"

Wow....

• Like 3

15 hours ago, craiga said:

People demanded proof.  There it is.  Of course members are liable for past balances due...but to ask for scholarships back and be "added to your balance??"

Wow....

For those that were doubting the veracity of the claim yesterday of the deleted forum post (unprecedented?) and replies that "Carolina Crown Asks Kids To Pay Back Scholarship $$$?" ...here you go...here is your PROOF that you requested.  I am not privy to any details of any contract so I'm not going to comment on that...but again I will say it is unconscionable IMO.

Edited by JohnD
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Liahona said:

For those that were doubting the veracity of the claim yesterday of the deleted forum post (unprecedented?) and replies that "Carolina Crown Asks Kids To Pay Back Scholarship $$$?" ...here you go...here is your PROOF that you requested.  I am not privy to any details of any contract so I'm not going to comment on that...but again I will say it is unconscionable IMO.

Ok congrats for providing proof. I'm excited that you were able to prove yourself right. I hope you sleep well tonight.

As for that email, I think it sucks. But also, we do not know what was in the scholarship agreement that the particular member had signed. So again, I am not gonna round up the town of Salem and perform witchcraft trials against Crown at this point.

Edited by JohnD
  • Like 1

For the record, the fact that the "proof" came out in a matter of hours proves that the poster could have waited until actual proof was in hand before inflaming a thread of rumor.

That said, so what?  It's a CONTRACT.  According the THE CONTRACT, the recipient of a scholarship owes it back if said MM changes corps.  Under what terms?  Who cares?  It's a CONTRACT and it was signed by TWO parties.  If contracts are no good, then how about we change the gate entry requirements when you're holding a ticket to get in.  Nope, that contract in your hand in the form of a ticket is not fair.  We're nullifying and ignoring it, and SHAME on you for having the temerity to expect me to uphold my end of it.

A kid went to BAC, he owed money from his scholarship contract.  He knew, he left.  The end.  Pay the money - move on.

And don't forget that it will be DCI that declares the MM unqualified, because the directors wrote these rules.  If BAC is dead-set on taking him, let them pay the monies due.  That's the way it works.

And please don't have the presumption that any one of us here are either qualified or entitled to tell a World Class drum corps how they should run their business.  If you're right that this should be condemned, the market - that echo chamber of potential MM's - will take care of it.  We here get to run our drum corps the way we want.

I would direct any further inquiry to the Crown office but, please be sensitive to the fact that staff members are PLANNING A DRUM CORPS SEASON and are not obligated, nor presumed, to spend a minute of their time addressing a disagreement with how their corps is run.

EDIT: To clarify, each of us here who donate funds to Crown, volunteer for Crown, support the group in any way even to the casual fan who refuses to buy souvies, can all express our dissatisfaction with the notion of Crown enforcing its contract by withdrawing that support.  That's also how the market works.  Whether or not your contribution is sufficient to weigh on the Crown Executive and BOD is dependent upon each contributor.

Edited by garfield
  • Like 8

So, after demanding "proof", you then dismiss it.  Ok..fine.  No, it's not the Salem Witch Trials....just a terrible way to run a youth activity.  And for the record, this is not just "one kid".

• Like 5

I am going to give Carolina Crown the benefit of the doubt, and assume that they wrote something in the fine print of their "scholarship" contract forbidding the marcher from leaving for another corps, even in future seasons.

However, even so, I look forward to hearing reactions from everyone who railed against the concept of a "transfer fee" for members moving from corps to corps.  Because that is what this is, essentially.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, craiga said:

So, after demanding "proof", you then dismiss it.  Ok..fine.  No, it's not the Salem Witch Trials....just a terrible way to run a youth activity.  And for the record, this is not just "one kid".

What, teaching kids that contracts have obligations?  Craig, seriously?

Apparently, the kid(s) who signed the contracts thought it was a fine way to run a drum corps, because they signed.

Jeesh

• Like 1

As I recall the person who authored the attached email from Crown, was contacted yesterday in the deleted thread and she wrote scholarships were available for age outs.  However, it would appear from this latest info, a scholarship was awarded otherwise.  It doesn't help the situation, regardless of the terms of the contract.  

• Like 1