1996 Blue Devils, Santa Clara

1997 Cadets, Madison, SCV

1998 Cadets, SCV

1999 Blue Devils, SCV, Cavaliers

2000 Cavaliers, Cadets, BD, SCV

2001 BD, Cadets

2002 Cadets

• Like 3

Most? I think a better question would be which couldn't. Music books seem to be less complex nowadays to allow for more visual demand, especially among lower corps.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hrothgar15 said:

Most? I think a better question would be which couldn't. Music books seem to be less complex nowadays to allow for more visual demand, especially among lower corps.

I'm not sure they're less complex these days. I'd say percussion now is more complex, and cleaner, than in decades past (though I'm no percussionist). Similarly, I would say that brass books have some pretty complex parts these day, with passages that were only playable by the pit before, though these passages certainly seem to be tied more frequently to park and bark visuals.

I do agree that most past books, at least for brass, would hold up well. As I type this, I'm actually listening to The Cavaliers' Planets to Planets album, and I find myself enjoying the musicality of these shows more than only a select few in the past 15 years. It is certainly a fact that brass play less now, due to a "tapestry" of sound created by synthesized patches, pre-recorded music, vocals, etc. I can honestly say that this has diminished what makes drum corps unique. 

• Like 2

I'm sure there's plenty, but my immediate thought is that Phantom 96 would still hold up today.

4 hours ago, tesmusic said:

For me:

1991 Blue Devils, Cadets, Cavaliers, Star

1992 Cadets

1993 Blue Devils, Cadets, Star

1995 Blue Devils, Cadets, Madison Scouts

1996 Blue Devils, Santa Clara

1997 Cadets, Madison, SCV

1998 Cadets, SCV

1999 Blue Devils, SCV, Cavaliers

2000 Cavaliers, Cadets, BD, SCV

2001 BD, Cadets

2002 Cadets

Seconded

2 hours ago, Hrothgar15 said:

Most is pushing it, imo. 

That would mean that most medalist corps from 2002 and before had music books that would be competitive today, which is a pretty absurd statement. 

Thanks to those who are actually contributing. 

I'd add Star 90 and 92.  :)

Edited by Lance
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Lance said:

I figured 15 years was a good threshold for this. 

Which brass and/or percussion books from back then could still medal today with a new visual program.

I'm talking little to no alteration to the notes on the page. 

Impossible to know. If you change the visual design to make it similar to today's visual designs, then all these brass books from Corps the further back we go automatically has to be rewritten in a major, major way.

All we can say  is that all the Corps that medaled in the 90's would not medal today, and all Corps that medaled last year for example, would not have medaled in the 1990's and in any earlier years. That much we can say with certainty, anyway.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 2