Dci Live

21 hours ago, jimthetuba said:

The one problem for BOA is that it is harder to learn performances from bands that don't compete at big shows until nats, like a lot of the michigan bands.

That is very true. But that problem can be abated by having camera operators and producers that know the activity and what to look for. FloMarching obviously did not. The detail of shot selection and timing everything perfectly won't be like it is when TB and crew are doing DCI shows. But it would be better than FM where they would do a 20 second long closeup of a kid playing rack in the front ensemble or linger on a guard member doing an equipment change behind a prop.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Beckham said:

That is very true. But that problem can be abated by having camera operators and producers that know the activity and what to look for. FloMarching obviously did not. The detail of shot selection and timing everything perfectly won't be like it is when TB and crew are doing DCI shows. But it would be better than FM where they would do a 20 second long closeup of a kid playing rack in the front ensemble or linger on a guard member doing an equipment change behind a prop.

Very true

never paid to watch BOA, but i think i like the idea of having a production company in charge that's devoted to marching arts. 

pretty sure they've just contracted it out to random local a/v companies for most of dci live broadcasts, and it's been extremely hit and miss.

they've got me by the nethers, though. i'd get bored in the summer without my online dci viewing. 

4 hours ago, Lance said:

never paid to watch BOA, but i think i like the idea of having a production company in charge that's devoted to marching arts. 

pretty sure they've just contracted it out to random local a/v companies for most of dci live broadcasts, and it's been extremely hit and miss.

they've got me by the nethers, though. i'd get bored in the summer without my online dci viewing. 

FloMarching is part of FloSports. They do streams of tons of athletic stuff that doesn't get shown on the networks. The non-money sport college athletics is mostly what they cover, but they also have stuff like rodeo, non-WWE pro wrestling and even rock climbing. I think someone in their organization had some connection to the marching arts and saw the opportunity to move into that arena and cover BOA. I believe they also did some WBA (California) shows last fall. So they aren't really entirely dedicated to the marching arts, it's just one branch of a much larger operation. 

While I don't have anything good to say about their BOA coverage last fall, I do hope that it was a learning experience for them and that down the road they will improve the quality of their product. Who knows if they will be involved with DCI but if recall someone telling me that they signed a four year contract with BOA.

Edited by Beckham

33 minutes ago, Beckham said:

FloMarching is part of FloSports. They do streams of tons of athletic stuff that doesn't get shown on the networks. The non-money sport college athletics is mostly what they cover, but they also have stuff like rodeo, non-WWE pro wrestling and even rock climbing. I think someone in their organization had some connection to the marching arts and saw the opportunity to move into that arena and cover BOA. I believe they also did some WBA (California) shows last fall. So they aren't really entirely dedicated to the marching arts, it's just one branch of a much larger operation. 

i had no idea. Thanks. 

13 hours ago, Lance said:

I think most of the DCI live broadcasts are done by the interns they hire each summer, along with maybe one or two a/v people that are paid employees that do it each year... ?  Not positive on that, but I don't think they just hire random a/v companies from each area to do it.  The DCI guys travel around the country doing the various shows together, thus getting an idea of what to look for with each corps, etc.   Someone from DCI correct me if I'm wrong in that.  I think DCI even advertises each summer to hire interns to be a part of that DCI Live team to travel to all the shows and do the recording, video, audio, set-up, etc.

2 hours ago, leed17 said:

I think most of the DCI live broadcasts are done by the interns they hire each summer, along with maybe one or two a/v people that are paid employees that do it each year... ?  Not positive on that, but I don't think they just hire random a/v companies from each area to do it.  The DCI guys travel around the country doing the various shows together, thus getting an idea of what to look for with each corps, etc.   Someone from DCI correct me if I'm wrong in that.  I think DCI even advertises each summer to hire interns to be a part of that DCI Live team to travel to all the shows and do the recording, video, audio, set-up, etc.

maybe i'm thinking about what i heard years back, and it's changed of late

if it is interns getting an idea of what to look for, it has resulted in focusing on somebody playing a theremin for 30 seconds at a time, so i'm not sure it's a whole lot better to be honest.

• 1 month later...
20 minutes ago, DrumManTx said:

http://www.flomarching.com/events

Question answered.  DCI events are listed at the bottom.  I REALLY hope they have improved since BOA this fall or I am going to be incredibly dissapointed in this.  I will give it a chance but I'm very cautious right now...

So here's the next question.  I've already paid $149 to subscribe to FloSports to watch collegiate Track & Field because my granddaughter is on the Sacramento State track team.  I was pleasantly surprised to see that my $149 also let me watch the current WGI events, since, as Beckham noted above, it also includes FloMarching.  Now I'm hoping that it will also cover all DCI events for 2017 as I paid for it back in February and I think it is a yearly fee.  So on a positive note, the up side to this is getting to see music/marching events throughout the year with your $149.  Now I will join all of you praying posters that they will do a better job with DCI than they did with BOA.

• Like 1