What is your opinion on MM's switching corps?

Ok so in the other thread we were discussing loyalty to different corps.  I figured this topic has been discussed before, but I want to get everyones opinions.  Obviously drum corps is an activity that gives an individual lots of space to do what they want to during the offseason.  So, what are your guys' opinions on switching corps, and another question, what is the craziest switch you have ever seen a MM make?

"Switching Sides":

Don't know much about "Today", but I DO KNOW that "Back in the day", "Corps hopping"  (Or "Ring Chasing") was not the norm. Travel "Back Then" was not what it is now.

People DID change sides, but in the main, (Since most of the corps were actually "Local") you pretty much stayed the course unless the corps folded or you were kicked out.

Elphaba      :flower:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ghost said:

There is some great discussion in that thread.  I feel MMs should do what they want to, and I dont think corps should be allowed to hold marchers back if they dont agree with their decisions.

I'm not biased, so I can say with total objectivity here that any marcher from Carolina Crown or Cadets that wants to march the Boston Crusaders should be freely allowed to do so... and conversely, any former marcher from Boston that wants to march Carolina Crown or the Cadets should be held down by a Gang of 8 and tickled to death, or until they come to their senses.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 3

There are lots of reasons to "switch sides." Drum corps of today isn't what it was. I've seen people change corps to get a different perspective so that they'll be better educators, for example, or to follow staff they really like if that staff member happens to get hired by a different group. There's also usually a trickle up to the top corps because if you're 20 and want to keep marching, chances are that the corps you started with isn't really challenging you as much as you'd like. Bottom of the pack corps tend to have easier material and younger kids. Nothing wrong with that, it's just how it is. Older folks move up to be with their peers and to be given material that reflects their skill level.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, subcritical said:

Sometimes the grass is greener on the other side. 

I see what you did there.

• Like 1

There's a way to do it with and without class.  I marched Troopers for 4 years in the midst of what was historically be our least competitive era. I had the ability to march other places, but loved being a Trooper.  We had people who would leave or announce their departure for another corps and put it in everyone's face like they were somehow too good for the corps. I ultimately marched my age out with Phantom Regiment and it was the best decision for me at the time. I did it quietly and gracefully and am proud to be a part of two legendary traditions.

• Like 2