What is your opinion on MM's switching corps?

5 hours ago, elphaba01 said:

"Switching Sides":

Don't know much about "Today", but I DO KNOW that "Back in the day", "Corps hopping"  (Or "Ring Chasing") was not the norm. Travel "Back Then" was not what it is now.

People DID change sides, but in the main, (Since most of the corps were actually "Local") you pretty much stayed the course unless the corps folded or you were kicked out.

Elphaba      :flower:

This... and I seem to remember... could be wrong here..... if you switched corps after a certain date, in particular after the competition season had begun, it was not allowed... at least in some local circuits.

Again, that could just be my fading memory here.  LOL. Perhaps Elphaba or Mike Davis can come in here and talk about this.

This I do know.... after we (DCA's Sunrisers) had won two straight DCA titles, 1977-78, we picked up a few "ring chasers" in our horn line for 1979... and it wasn't helpful.

Well... that, plus the Buccaneers having a great corps in '79 and cleaning our clock.  LOL

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, ScottPREuph said:

There's a way to do it with and without class.  I marched Troopers for 4 years in the midst of what was historically be our least competitive era. I had the ability to march other places, but loved being a Trooper.  We had people who would leave or announce their departure for another corps and put it in everyone's face like they were somehow too good for the corps. I ultimately marched my age out with Phantom Regiment and it was the best decision for me at the time. I did it quietly and gracefully and am proud to be a part of two legendary traditions.

Your answer shows you still have class.:innocent:

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

This... and I seem to remember... could be wrong here..... if you switched corps after a certain date, in particular after the competition season had begun, it was not allowed... at least in some local circuits.

Again, that could just be my fading memory here.  LOL. Perhaps Elphaba or Mike Davis can come in here and talk about this.

"Switching Sides Part Deux":

Junior drum corps circuits such as the Penn-Jersey, (In which my junior corps, as well as our two cross town Bridgeport rivals competed) did indeed have cut off dates and "Corps jumping" restrictions in place.

For accepting, or causing "Cross-overs" the unit could be charged with "Raiding" and suspended from circuit competition.

I believe the Boston CYO Circuit had this in place also.  Ghost?

Elphaba   :flower:

OMG, who F-ing cares?? I taught the Glassmmen hornline back when they first made finals. Of course I wished they'd all stay, and I taught them about loyalty and building their own brand. Most did. But the few that went on to higher-placing corps remained my friends, and I was very happy for them. 

My first go-round with Bluecoats brass (2006-2011) saw similar things, except the retention was much higher. Again, for the 1-2 members who switched (and not always higher!), we remain friends and I was happy for them.

Then I taught SCV 2012-2015, and back at Bloo in 2016, where I met one member taking the corps switch to a new level: three years of SCV, then 2016 at Bloo, and this year at BD. I'm certainly going to miss her, after investing 4 years in her drum corps development, but I don't begrudge her one bit. I wish I had done the same thing! In fact, fundamentally, if we were to REALLY put the member first, we'd ENCOURAGE corps switching, just for the sole purpose of learning the diversity of ideas out there.

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, Bruckner8 said:

OMG, who F-ing cares?? I taught the Glassmmen hornline back when they first made finals. Of course I wished they'd all stay, and I taught them about loyalty and building their own brand. Most did. But the few that went on to higher-placing corps remained my friends, and I was very happy for them. 

My first go-round with Bluecoats brass (2006-2011) saw similar things, except the retention was much higher. Again, for the 1-2 members who switched (and not always higher!), we remain friends and I was happy for them.

Then I taught SCV 2012-2015, and back at Bloo in 2016, where I met one member taking the corps switch to a new level: three years of SCV, then 2016 at Bloo, and this year at BD. I'm certainly going to miss her, after investing 4 years in her drum corps development, but I don't begrudge her one bit. I wish I had done the same thing! In fact, fundamentally, if we were to REALLY put the member first, we'd ENCOURAGE corps switching, just for the sole purpose of learning the diversity of ideas out there.

Youre a legend!

People can do anything they want, move where they want, when they want, and decide to leave a trail of debt owed behind.  Fine.

But the activity made rules long ago about leaving debt behind and it will be DCI that adjudicates whether MM's awarded a contract at BAC are eligible to march there according to each, individual situation.  It seems to me that, so long as Crown shows them as owing a debt, they have the right to report it that way to DCI.  If the rule has teeth according to the member corps who voted for it, DCI will have no choice but to tell BAC that they're ineligible.

But I know nothing.  I am Schultz, not Borg.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, garfield said:

People can do anything they want, move where they want, when they want, and decide to leave a trail of debt owed behind.  Fine.

But the activity made rules long ago about leaving debt behind and it will be DCI that adjudicates whether MM's awarded a contract at BAC are eligible to march there according to each, individual situation.  It seems to me that, so long as Crown shows them as owing a debt, they have the right to report it that way to DCI.  If the rule has teeth according to the member corps who voted for it, DCI will have no choice but to tell BAC that they're ineligible.

But I know nothing.  I am Schultz, not Borg.

Well, If they have outstanding dues they shouldnt be allowed to move.  I think most corps dont let people move if they have outstanding dues.  I filled out a corps application recently and that question was on it.

• Like 1