What is your opinion on MM's switching corps?

21 hours ago, elphaba01 said:

"Switching Sides Part Deux":

Junior drum corps circuits such as the Penn-Jersey, (In which my junior corps, as well as our two cross town Bridgeport rivals competed) did indeed have cut off dates and "Corps jumping" restrictions in place.

For accepting, or causing "Cross-overs" the unit could be charged with "Raiding" and suspended from circuit competition.

I believe the Boston CYO Circuit had this in place also.  Ghost?

Elphaba   :flower:

Yes, Esmass and CYO Circuits had transfers policies in place ( pre DCI ) that purposefully made it very difficult to transfer between member units. It was designed to protect the stability of the overall circuit enterprise itself. If you wanted a transfer, you went before the Board of the Circuit and pleaded your case. 70% of the time, the transfer request was denied, maybe 30% of the time it would be approved. Some allowable reasons for transfers were changes in instructional staff, or real unhappiness and conflict with its marchers and or instructors or management. Parents and marchers on the whole were ok with the highly restrictive transfer policies these circuits had among its member Corps ( and Marching Bands ). DCI came into existence in 1972, and was formed by a handful of the Corps Directors of the very top placing Junior Corps in the Country at the time. They wanted no transfer policies ( to maintain their competitive strong positions ) so transfer policies were never codified into a standard policy meant to impede the movement of lower Corps marchers  to themselves each season.

Edited by BRASSO

On 2/5/2017 at 3:59 PM, subcritical said:

Sometimes the grass is greener on the other side. 

The Grass is Always Greener...

hidden meaning perhaps :ninja:

• Like 1

8 hours ago, garfield said:

People can do anything they want, move where they want, when they want, and decide to leave a trail of debt owed behind.  Fine.

But the activity made rules long ago about leaving debt behind and it will be DCI that adjudicates whether MM's awarded a contract at BAC are eligible to march there according to each, individual situation.  It seems to me that, so long as Crown shows them as owing a debt, they have the right to report it that way to DCI.  If the rule has teeth according to the member corps who voted for it, DCI will have no choice but to tell BAC that they're ineligible.

But I know nothing.  I am Schultz, not Borg.

What is the beef with BAC?...Is it just because you feel like you were played (not my words but that of another poster)?...Boston has done EVERYTHING ABOVE BOARD under DCI rules...by contacting Crown management about members who previously marched with Crown that they have decided to accept a contract with Boston...Your negative narrative is now prevailing all over these forums...and for someone who says that they are not bias towards any corps...your true colors are beginning to show IMO...You are also incorrectly assuming that debts won't be paid...nothing has indicated that to be the case...

• Like 3

9 hours ago, garfield said:

.  It seems to me that, so long as Crown shows them as owing a debt, they have the right to report it that way to DCI.  If the rule has teeth according to the member corps who voted for it, DCI will have no choice but to tell BAC that they're ineligible.

Lots of assumptions here, garfield, and all those assumptions of yours seem to accrue to the benefit of CC, but not to Boston. Why ?.. While your asumptions on this could be proven correct down the line, what evidence have you seen that the former CC marchers owe CC any more monies at all ? Who assumes the contract is valid in the first place ? Not the parties. Not DCI. Noone here on DCP. The Law ( courts ) do. I'm not saying that what CC has done here is illegal. I'll assume for the sake of discussion here that it is legal.  But so long as this matter is settled either amicably, or legally, the assumption that DCI is the final arbiter as who is eligible to transfer between Corps, and march where they want to march,  may or may not ultimately rest with DCI at all.  For example, If Boston decides to foot the former CC marchers bill ( not saying they would, nor even should), DCI would have no reason to even intervene on this, let alone deny their eligibilty to march the Corps of their freely chosen choice, and in which they might have secured a spot in line.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, garfield said:

That was a great visual following along with your words.  I loved the Freelancers, and the Glassmen! 

I'd be willing to bet, however, that there were something like 600-700 "audition campers" at this year's number-12 placed corps.  Were there that many trying to get into Freelancers BITD?  Heck, the number 22-placed WC corps has several hundred kids attending "audition camps".  It is a different metric today, isn't it?

Totally different beast these days...

Back in those days, In California Alone you had...

Vanguard, Blue Devils, Freelancers, Velvet Knights (there's a third of the top 12 in 92), Mandarins, Blue Devils B, and Vanguard Cadets, Not to mention the Spirit of Sunnyvale Youth Marching Band (who were really good and were judged on the DCW tour).

Also on the Best Coast you had in Washington, the Cascades and Marauders, Arizona had Arizona Sun and The Musketeers. Troopers and Blue Knights weren't that far away either. 

Looking at the CA corps however, it was commonplace that Freelancers and VK stepped off on first tour still filling the lines and it wasn't actually all that uncommon for SCV and even Devs to have the occasional hole to fill in early June. In 1987, we stepped off at Riverside with less than 40 brass, eventually filling out the line with 55. As I recall, I think the most attendees at a camp we ever had in the hornline was about 85 which was in 1991, when we had a return rate from 1990 of well over 90% and not many spots to fill. A good portion of those cut made their way down to Anaheim or up to Kelso WA to Marauders. We didn't have video auditions back then or "callback camps". We didn't have Audition Fees either. You turned up, paid your camp fee and if you were good enough, you were in the line. If you were a returning vet in good standing with the corps, you auditioned only for your position in the line.

Edited by Cainan
typo

I marched with 3 corps myself. Joined a corps in 64 that ended up just doing parades. It was sponsored by my dad's VFW. Stayed through 67, and then I moved across town to the other local corps that was a Garden State Circuit fiwld corps, where I marched 68 and 69. I wanted the class 'A' experience, so after 69 I bounced between my all time favorite corps, the Blessed Sacrament Golden Knights from Newark and the Garfield Cadets, where a bunch of kids from my GSC corps had gone after 68. BS was the better placing corps at that time, as well as being my personal favorite through the 60's, but I chose Garfield for the personal "fit", and I never regretted it.

As long as a member is in good standing, I have no issue with them changing corps for any reason whatsoever. Every person is unique and has their own reasons for marching where they choose. If a corps creates the environment the person likes, they'll might stay longer...or not. To each their own, IMO.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Liahona said:

What is the beef with BAC?...Is it just because you feel like you were played (not my words but that of another poster)?...Boston has done EVERYTHING ABOVE BOARD under DCI rules...by contacting Crown management about members who previously marched with Crown that they have decided to accept a contract with Boston...Your negative narrative is now prevailing all over these forums...and for someone who says that they are not bias towards any corps...your true colors are beginning to show IMO...You are also incorrectly assuming that debts won't be paid...nothing has indicated that to be the case...

<snip, see the other thread>

Edited by garfield

I don't have any issue with it, and marched with two corps myself. There's simply no logic in telling a person to remain with a corps they're not happy with. It's a disservice to the member and the corps. I've told my two sons the same. The youngest has remained with the corps he first auditioned for 3 summers ago and will likely age out there -- he loves everything about his corps of choice, and that's great! The oldest has switched once, and while financially I wish he would've stayed ;), I'd much rather he enjoy his summers, so kudos to him for recognizing his first corps wasn't a great fit for him and finding one that is.

• Like 2