Corps That Still Have Spots to Fill

29 minutes ago, ibexpercussion said:

Isn't the Pinball Wizard that the Who sang about an alumni of the Couchmen?

I don't think Pinball Wizard marched Couchmen. I'm not sure his knees would hold up standing that long if he had spent so much time reclining on the Lazy-Boy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RetiredMusTeach said:

Oh boy!  This sounds like a corps for me, a retired music teacher with arthritis.  Do you know where I can send an audition video?  I really come off best in my Lazyboy with the feet up - do you think that will hurt my chances of getting a spot?

The Couchmen used to evaluate prospective auditioneers via audition video submittance. However, key evaluators  at the Couchmen chose not to watch any more auditioneers videos this off season and so this method for applicant evaluation has been abandoned for 2017. The current openings remaining require 3 letters of recommendations from Employers, Teachers, Wife, Girl Friend, Boyfriend ( or X's ) that the applicant has shown exceptional abilities to sit quietly for protracted times in the same sitting position OR the versatility to move swiftly and efficiently around a refrigerator, oven, microwave in a kitchen environment without spilling food or beverages...... As for your experience with proper posture, terrific feet, with the LazyBoy, reportedly these Couchmen yearly openings fill up fast each off season, so I'm hearing that there are no current openings in this section. However, rumors are that they will consider alternates for 2017, as each season for one reason of another, those that have secured positions in the Couchmen get cold feet once the warm weather rolls around, and they find out that a position in the Couchmen requires more effort than they are willing to commit to. Hope this info helps... and don't give up on your quest to become a Couchmen !

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

Thanks for your input, Brasso.  Hard to hear but you saved me from going to all the trouble of making a video of me in my Lazyboy.  Maybe next year. . . and thanks for the encouragement.

I wonder if they have developed the theme for their show yet.  Do you know?  You seem to have inside information on them.  If they haven't nailed it down, I'd like to suggest that the Couchmen could handle playing the Hardart parts in a P.D.Q. Bach-themed show.  So classy, you know, in case anyone doubts the musical prowess of the Couchmen.

3 hours ago, RetiredMusTeach said:

Thanks for your input, Brasso.  Hard to hear but you saved me from going to all the trouble of making a video of me in my Lazyboy.  Maybe next year. . . and thanks for the encouragement.

I wonder if they have developed the theme for their show yet.  Do you know?  You seem to have inside information on them.  If they haven't nailed it down, I'd like to suggest that the Couchmen could handle playing the Hardart parts in a P.D.Q. Bach-themed show.  So classy, you know, in case anyone doubts the musical prowess of the Couchmen.

I can not get info on the Theme, RetiredMus Teach, as the Couchmen have also developed an off season " Cone of Silence"... My sources tell me they have been busily practicing their napping technigues of late, before they get into the more strenuous breathing exercises later in the Spring. I'm not sure the Couchmen will have their Music ready this season. My sources there tell me they hope to have a Music Program agreed to on or around 2020. But that's just a rumor, and who knows they might have a Music Program agreed too this season, if they get get everyone to bring their own instruments, and secure highly obscure Music artists that will agree to allow the Couchmen to attempt to play their Music and in return agree to pay the Couchmen a stipend for the free publicity of their obscure works.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

On 3/7/2017 at 4:53 PM, BRASSO said:

I can not get info on the Theme, RetiredMus Teach, as the Couchmen have also developed an off season " Cone of Silence"... My sources tell me they have been busily practicing their napping technigues of late, before they get into the more strenuous breathing exercises later in the Spring. I'm not sure the Couchmen will have their Music ready this season. My sources there tell me they hope to have a Music Program agreed to on or around 2020. But that's just a rumor, and who knows they might have a Music Program agreed too this season, if they get get everyone to bring their own instruments, and secure highly obscure Music artists that will agree to allow the Couchmen to attempt to play their Music and in return agree to pay the Couchmen a stipend for the free publicity of their obscure works.

Not until 2020?  That's just crazy.  Surely they just need something that can be performed from couches moved onto the turf. . . with NO AMPLIFICATION!  Brasso, please suggest the following to them.  I think it could even be performed reclining! 

56 minutes ago, RetiredMusTeach said:

Not until 2020?  That's just crazy.  Surely they just need something that can be performed from couches moved onto the turf. . . with NO AMPLIFICATION!  Brasso, please suggest the following to them.  I think it could even be performed reclining! 

Its not my decision if they would qualify for a coveted remaining spot in the Couchmen ( as I'm just an unpaid Consultant to their Corps ), but it does appear to me that they have a bit of a talent edge over the 2 current harmonica players in the Couchmen anyway, So I'd tell them if they are serious to try and attend the next free Couchmen tryout camp scheduled for April 1st in Toonsville, Missouri at Homey's Fairgrounds there.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

On 3/8/2017 at 10:33 PM, BRASSO said:

Its not my decision if they would qualify for a coveted remaining spot in the Couchmen ( as I'm just an unpaid Consultant to their Corps ), but it does appear to me that they have a bit of a talent edge over the 2 current harmonica players in the Couchmen anyway, So I'd tell them if they are serious to try and attend the next free Couchmen tryout camp scheduled for April 1st in Toonsville, Missouri at Homey's Fairgrounds there.

Are you opening the harmonica vs. melodica debate??? With the current cone of silence, one has to wonder what the arrangers are thinking as far as wind instrumentation, no?

1 hour ago, JAZZER said:

Are you opening the harmonica vs. melodica debate??? With the current cone of silence, one has to wonder what the arrangers are thinking as far as wind instrumentation, no?

The current debate among staffers at the Couchmen is reportedly not about harmonicas, but hammocks. The tradition based purists in the Corps want to remain a hammock free Corps, while the progressive, avant garde wing in the Corps would like to expand the traditional couches, ottomans, chairs styled unit, into a more modernized and more relaxing motif will the addition of the hammock for their staging this season and beyond.

Edited by BRASSO