Top 10 opening hits?

4 minutes ago, garfield said:

Candide.  1990.  From the first downbeat, never gave up the tempo until the cut off 3 minutes later.  Love, love, this opener.

you should - it's one of the very best openers of all time 

45 minutes ago, garfield said:

Wait?  What BIRD?  I can't believe I get to correct the Great George Dixon.  That, my friend, is an airplane.  Those spinning things are propellers, not feathers.  (All in good fun, I hope the he-- you knew that...!).

if you watch the video the "opening hit" is a bird

hit "PLAY" :)

Edited by George Dixon
clarification
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

if you watch the video the "opening hit" is a bird

hit "PLAY" :)

Whaaaaa??  That long pointy line, they move the point from top...to bottom...  Whaaa?  You're saying that was actually designed to be a bird's wings moving?  Like an artist would draw birds at the seashore??  Or what a kid might see while laying on his Dad's station wagon roof watching the birds overhead and dreaming of being able to fly?

OMG, seriously, George?  

wow.  I'm exhausted.

48 minutes ago, garfield said:

From the first downbeat, never gave up the tempo until the cut off 3 minutes later.  Love, love, this opener

Honest question: what was the last opener that did this, with the whole ensemble playing the entire piece from start to finish? Nowadays, it's almost obligatory to lead up to a big hit, and follow it with a (sometimes minute-long) percussion feature before the brass comes in again.

Madison 95 

BD 96

Cadets 00

Madison 01

BD 03 is one doesn't get to much credit man that horn line was smokin that turn around I was front row for the encore wow what power