Cool things you did, saw or people met while on the road

As here I sit during a snowstorm today working from home, and looking at the anticipation thread got me thinking; What cool things did I see or get to do while I was on the road while an MM and while on staff.  We always talk about being on tour and friendships made and things we got to do that makes the experience  enjoyable.  So what cool things did  you do?  What cool things did you see?  What cool people did you meet?  What made your road experience fun beyond the actual shows or rehearsals.  Maybe a visitor to a rehearsal made the rehearsal cool or fun.  Or at least memorable.  Maybe this can temper some of the anger we have all shared on this never ending off season LOL.  For me:

Visiting the Lincoln Memorial late at night after an indoor exhibition because of a rainout.  Impromptu visit, but very dramatic at night with the lights on it.

Behind the scenes at Disney when the corps did a parade (probably may have done this) but it was cool to see the "magic" of Disney (so long as you didn't take a photo).

Seeing the Rocky Mountains for the first time.

Going to minor league baseball games in the midwest

Sitting in a bar in Cedarburg, WI while a tornado went through a town a few miles away.  Trash barrels went literally flying down the street past the bar.  The cool part, we were all safe.

Sneaking beers in a horn case on a hot day, to a hill overlooking SCV rehearsal and relaxing, because we had time, they were going to finals.

Anyone?

• Like 1

When in 1986 the Cadets were chosen to give the exhibitions for Operation Sail, the re-dedication of the Statue of Liberty, and be nationally televised in the presence of President and Mrs. Reagan, Lee Iacocca and hundreds of major players of US politics and business, getting to Governor's Island and Liberty Island in New York harbor was a feat in itself. The Verrazano Narrows Bridge between Staten Island and Bay Ridge in Brooklyn was shut down on both levels due to security concerns except for the Cadets caravan of buses. Having such a large structure to ourselves was eerily amazing given that the bridge is usually bumper to bumper in the daily commuting hassle of NYC. And Port Authority and MTABA waived the tolls.  (Iacocca's family started Yocco's in Allentown, PA.)

Once arriving on the Red Hook warehouse docks in Brooklyn, quite appropriate for this season when the Cadets first played On the Waterfront, every thing and every one had to be inspected by the FBI and then loaded (and unloaded) on a very small ferry for the islands. Problem was that the soloist did not know how to swim, had never been on a boat before, and had to clutch the center pillar while friends and admin re-assured the soloist until touching land. This was a total of four trips with the soloist's anxiety only building given the wake of air craft carriers, destroyers, and luxury liners passing the President in review.  The soloist was not the only corps member who did not (yet) know how to swim. Later in the season when the corps members found one or two swimming pools (not always with permission) the first doggy-paddle lessons were given to the landlubbers. The experience did inspire one Cadet who went onto to become a Merchant Marine skipper plying NYC waters often; he occasionally posts on DCP.

PS. Interesting side note to the re-dedication ceremony.

The First Lady was supposed to break a champagne bottle against the Statue of Liberty at which 50 doves were to be released, one for each state. She did that facing the corps, the birds flew (we swore they were NYC pigeons) but immediately roosted upon the ledges above the uniformed  corps, dripping upon them the entire exhibition. Despite several launderings later, some of those souvenirs never washed out. Ever.

Edited by xandandl
  • Like 1

I discovered Dodge's Fried Chicken and Gasoline in Mississippi, and found it incredibly intriguing. We got a free night that night and I went there. Will never forget how bizarre it was to hear someone in front of me order "An 8 piece meal, mashed potatoes, cole slaw, and fill up on 6".

2 hours ago, ouooga said:

I discovered Dodge's Fried Chicken and Gasoline in Mississippi, and found it incredibly intriguing. We got a free night that night and I went there. Will never forget how bizarre it was to hear someone in front of me order "An 8 piece meal, mashed potatoes, cole slaw, and fill up on 6".

We have something similar here with Rudy's BBQ. Good stuff.

screen_shot_2015-03-16_at_11.24.02_am_95

• Like 2

I saw Cal Ripken Jr. at a Baltimore- area Panera.

Oops..... you mean on the road with drum corps...LOL

• Like 2

When I was drum major of Windsor Guardsmen, I got a kiss from Miss Canada.

Edited by Jurassic Lancer
  • Like 5

Our 1998 tour of California, was a blast. Got to spend a great deal of time with SCV and BD, as well as share housing with a West Coast Sound. Made a lot of great friends, had a lot of days to sight-see and get to know California. Not to mention stopping along the way out and back and having time to see the country.