Did The Bluecoats Set A Paradigm Shift in DCI?

5 hours ago, DrumManTx said:

As has been stated before (on the other thread) it's not necessarily the elements but the combination of elements.  Same thing with Star of Indiana in 1993.   

i wish social media had been around during the transition to asymmetrical drill. 

would make the amp freakout a decade ago look tame, i'm betting.

Edited by Lance
  • Like 1

Just now, Lance said:

i wish social media had been around during the transition to asymmetrical drill. 

I imagine a similar reaction when mankind discovered the earth was in fact round and not flat.  

(I kid).  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, DrumManTx said:

I imagine a similar reaction when mankind discovered the earth was in fact round and not flat.  

(I kid).  

Google Maps sure would have come in handy then!!!  LOL

• Like 2

don't forget how SCV really set the bar by playing really different music early on.  Then BD, then Cadets, Then Cavaliers Then Star, Then Crown, Now Bluecoats.  yea I think they really did and in more ways than just those big colorful props.  They are raising the bar with soundscapes and electronic re-enforcing.  I think modern drum corps is very exciting.  I am glad my son opened up my mind to it all.  I enjoy it so much more than trying to pick apart shows all the time.

• Like 1

It's fun to watch some key figures in drum corps history reminisce in the roundtable discussion on the Brass Roots video (from circa 1997, I believe). Some interesting conversations there about key moments.

Did The Bluecoats Set A Paradigm Shift in DCI?...........................God I hope not.

Edited by yogitom
  • Like 1

On 2/11/2017 at 7:28 PM, Lance said:

I don't necessarily think so. I'm a child of late 60's and early 70's drum corps and Up until the advent of amplification did I have an issue with the changes. The drill and change to horns were different but stayed true to marching and playing music. I don't like the amplification and really abhor the rolling around on the ground and posing. To me that's a departure from marching and the music should not need to be amplified. Also, the electronics (keyboards, guitars, bass pedals....) to me are not needed.

On 2/11/2017 at 6:28 PM, Lance said:

as I recall, it wasn't that big of a deal, the freak out about SVC was that they we're dropping down to 7th place, sort of like if BD did that this year, they had been in the top 3 every years since DCI started until then..then there was this curse of 7th place thing (7th place corps folded)

In many ways, it wasn’t as radical as some make it out to be as a lot of corps had asymmetrical field coverage in their drills for years